Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking Noise VZ Alloytech 2006 Berlina

gt2die4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey Guys

I just recently bought a VZ Berlina 2006
and the service history was great but become abit wonky after 100,000
was bought from a dealer and he said he was not sure however he confirmed last service was done at 137,000
Car is currently is 140,500 and i have noticed a ticking noise coming from my engine bay

Whats your opinion on this Video link below this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skz6269cpcA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crNCM6K81oY (CLICK THIS ONE FOR BETTER NOISE)

Last edited:

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Check the evap purge valve solenoid.

Top of engine near the back on the passenger side.
Pull the plastic cover off and it sits next to the manifold/plenum.
Usually goes away with revs.

Not unusual for them to tick but you should check the valve is working or get it replaced if it annoys you.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Yeah, I had the same issue on my VE, bought a new evap solenoid for around 60 bucks. No more clicking. BUT, taking the input pipe off the solenoid was a nightmare. Actually, I ended up cutting it and used a bit of fuel hose to connect it back to the new solenoid. You're supposed to depress 2 tabs and pull it but good luck with that.

gt2die4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Ok guys I have narrowed it to evap solenoid , injectors, or lifters

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My SV6 EVAP solenoid does not click for about 2 minutes after a cold start. (SEQld never very cold)
The idle quality can be checked by blocking off the input side with a 8 or 10mm rubber chair tip and observing the idle quality. (End facing the firewall).
If the EVAP is stuck closed or opened the idle quality will be evident. Closed or blocked off, the idle will be smooth.
Correct operation, the idle will be steady but not perfect, as pulses of fuel vapor laden air will be fed into the intake plenum.
Stuck open, the idle will be very poor and erratic.
The resistance of the EVAP is about 24 ohms from memory

Hope this helps

PS Check the soft rubber hose to the left of the throttle body for cracks or perished rubber. This is notorious in the V6 engine for the fuel tank vapour feed via the EVAP to the inlet manifold.

Last edited:

gt2die4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
My SV6 EVAP solenoid does not click for about 2 minutes after a cold start. (SEQld never very cold)
The idle quality can be checked by blocking off the input side with a 8 or 10mm rubber chair tip and observing the idle quality. (End facing the firewall).
If the EVAP is stuck closed or opened the idle quality will be evident. Closed or blocked off, the idle will be smooth.
Correct operation, the idle will be steady but not perfect, as pulses of fuel vapor laden air will be fed into the intake plenum.
Stuck open, the idle will be very poor and erratic.
The resistance of the EVAP is about 24 ohms from memory

Hope this helps

PS Check the soft rubber hose to the left of the throttle body for cracks or perished rubber. This is notorious in the V6 engine for the fuel tank vapour feed via the EVAP to the inlet manifold.

Yeah mine doesn't click until a minute or two
Should I replace it or leave it;
alot of people told me not worry about it

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Yeah mine doesn't click until a minute or two
Should I replace it or leave it;
alot of people told me not worry about it

Yeah but at some point it could potentially fail and lead to rough idle/unable to start after the tank has been filled.
I think the part is cheap enough to justify a change and at least make the annoying noise go away.