Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking Sound

ve_omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VE Omega
Hi all i own a 2006 VE Omega 170XXX km and every time i start my car i hear a loud ticking sound then goes away then comes back again and so on. i thought it may be the lifters so i changed the oil used 10w-40 and still nothing. i then took my car to Holden and spent 2000 on timing belt but problem still there if anyone knows something to solve my problem let me know cheers.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
you mention that the ticking comes back and goes away.... when does this happen?
ie only on idle, or only on acceleration, or only at a certain rev range? can it be produced while stantionary?

is the noise able to be produced if someone else is sitting in the drivers seat feathering the peddle whilst you try to listen with the bonnet open?

what did you say to holden after giving them 2k and informing them that the problem still exists?

ve_omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VE Omega
My car makes ticking sounds 80% of the time when i start it in the morning. if i accelerate it will sometimes not even tick but yesterday while i was driving i came to a full stop then once i hit the accelerator the ticking began then went away after 1min. i thought it might be the lifters but im not sure.

I complained but they told me bad luck and any more work will cost more so i bit the bullet and took my car not happy as you can imagine.

ve_omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VE Omega
i already put nulon Lifter-Free and Tune-Up but have not seen any difference.
can i mix in STP- oil treatment or should i wait for next oil change?

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
If it happens mostly with acceleration, could be an idea to get your exhaust manifold checked and/or replaced.. just an idea as a couple of mates had this issue and spent $$ and this was the problem.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Check the heat shield under the car around the exhaust. If it's loose, it can flap around and tap. Took me AGES to work that out on my Calais V Sportwagon, but once I did it was a 1 second fix because you can just fold the heat shield out of the way.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
good suggestions so far, but from your description I dont think its coming from inside the engine itself. my bet is external.... Sham and CSP thinking its related to the exhaust sounds like a good place to start.

but my suggestion is either the accessory belt itself, one of the pulleys, or the alternator. the reason I say that is because the noise seems to happen when the car is trying to develop electric current (ie demand on the alternator increases).
when the car firsts starts, it puts more demand on the alternator.... noise comes.
when the car has been sitting at idle for a bit (like at traffic lights), its going to have current demand the second you accelerate.... noise comes.
but once you're up and running (and there's plenty of current flowing around), it doesnt necessaryily need that instant juice on the occasional stab on the accelerator when you are already moving at speed.... noise doesnt always come.

a good rule with problems on cars is that if its constant- its mechanical. if its intermitent- its electrical. of course this rule doesnt apply to all sceanrios, but its a good place to start. but I really dont think its the engine itself mate.

MPRSSV

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Exec (Police pack) & 05 CV8Z Monaro
VERY INTERESTING... Im having exactly the same issue with my 06 VE - A ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the front of the car but only happens about 60-70% of the time - The noise does get louder as the car revs a little bit but then goes once it goes above about 3500rpm - Cant be the exhaust because I replaced that on Friday. I have a mate who is a mechanic for Holden but of course the noise doesn't happen when he looks at it which is why Im hesistant to take it into a garage because I know from previous experiences all they will do is say "I didn't hear it / what are you talking about? - That will be $300"

Thanks for all the good info guys!!!