Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tie-rod Question: Play in front wheels (horizontal)

keith.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
The car was in for a thorough check up to flag any major issues. Got the belts and tensioner pulleys replaced, cracked oil pan assembly, and rear stabilizers were replaced too.

I have had the ACDelco (GM) mechanic tell me that the Front Lower Control Arms need replacing. Something to do with bash bushing and bent controls arms.

From historic experience I don't trust these guys as they over-exaggerate (and over-charge). ACDelco (official GM) parts cost a bomb and so does labour. There's a dearth of good independent garages here (Qatar).

I took the car to an alignment centre next door and the mechanic demonstrated to me side-to-side play in both the front wheels. Says this is due to bad Tie-rods which need to be replaced, and there is no point doing an alignment now. I asked him to give an opinion on the Lower Control Arms and he said the bushing had gone bad. Now, the outer Tie-rod ends were replaced by ACDelco (GM) just over a year back.

I can seen uneven wear on all 4 tyres. The inner middle thread has more wear. The Rack and Pinion has a minor leak (legacy issue, hasn't really bothered me and I just keep an eye on steering fluid levels every couple of months).

Any inputs on the way forward will be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Keith

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get your tierod ends replaced. If there is excessive movement in them they will be causing an issue. Also get the bushings replaced, then get a 4 wheel alignment done and ask for a written report.

shanen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon MY06
Could be the inner tie rod ends that need replacing if you have already done the outers.

audi_tie_rod.gif

keith.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
Thanks. Just ordered a full set of rack ends and tie rod ends from ebay Australia, and also lower control arms (whiteline). worked out to about half the price i would pay buying in Qatar. And that includes shipping!!