Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tightening power steering belt on 5lt

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
hey all. Im hearing a screeching noise coming from my front tyres when they are on full lock left or right. I believe its the power steering belt just loose as it does feel a bit loose. Anyone know how hard it is to tighten the belt up on a vs ss? Cheers

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
easy. loosen off the bolts holding the pump to the bracket, pull belt tight by levering pump with whatever is handy (breaker bar/big screwdriver etc) re-tighten bolts

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers mate. Will give it a crack tomorrow arvo!

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Make sure not to damage the reservoir. I got some one to pull it in an upward direction while I tightened the bolts. No damage to the reservoir, they also advise against levering it with breaker bars and such for that reason. If the belt is squealing it may need to be replaced, sometimes that is a sign that the belt needs to be replaced.

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure not to damage the reservoir. I got some one to pull it in an upward direction while I tightened the bolts. No damage to the reservoir, they also advise against levering it with breaker bars and such for that reason. If the belt is squealing it may need to be replaced, sometimes that is a sign that the belt needs to be replaced.

**** fair enough, Will have a proper look at the belt again. Fairly sure it just needs to be tightened. Yeah was just gonna get my old man to pull it up. He should do the job lol cheers for that mate!

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
TBH, i found it to be a pain in the arse. Best way i found to do this on your own, is from the underside of the car while its up on ramps or jacked up. Lever from the bottom side, then reach up with a socket while holding the bar and tighten the bolts.