Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change...of the differential kind!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Well i'm looking for a new diff. I currently have the 2.92 single spinner heap of junk in there and i'm looking to change it to an lsd but i'm stuck on what to get. HSV A6's run the 3.27 which i'm told is pretty spot on for the auto's but most seem to buy the 3.45's which i think may be a bit short. Has anyone done this mod and what are your thoughts and feeback on it?
I'm after a good all rounder, something that is good at the track but is also great for normal cruising.
Any help appreciated. :)

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
I've got the hsv 3.27 diff in my ssv a6, straightaway i noticed a big difference in excelleration but nothing crazy tho...found that the shifts were whole lot smoother(when combined with the tune in the a6). I've driven an a6 ss with the 3.45 diff and i did notice a massive difference(3.27-3.45), but due to the ss having an xforce system i found the droning really really bad so i wasnt able to fully test it as i was getting a headache.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I too am thinking a change for my SIDI SV6 might be the go too. Think the stock is 3.27 (single spinner) so I guess 3.45 (LSD) would be the go (car is auto)? Does anybody know what sort of costs would be involved and does the speedo and engine managment systems need to be changed? Oh and does the housing need to be changed or can just the centre splines be changed? OK lets be honest I've got no idea so any info would be useful :)

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've got the hsv 3.27 diff in my ssv a6, straightaway i noticed a big difference in excelleration but nothing crazy tho...found that the shifts were whole lot smoother(when combined with the tune in the a6). I've driven an a6 ss with the 3.45 diff and i did notice a massive difference(3.27-3.45), but due to the ss having an xforce system i found the droning really really bad so i wasnt able to fully test it as i was getting a headache.

Hmmm sounds good. What sort of rpm were you pulling at 100 kph?
I'm looking at smoother shifts also so sounds like the 3.27 might be the go.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
...thought that was an extra for me

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
...boooo my "no anniversary" sedan which incidently lost 10 grand off its agreed insurance value in the 1st year was unfortunately not ordered with LSD...although ya never know they might of put one in by mistake :) So would 3.45 diff work for the SIDI yas reckon?