Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change...of the differential kind!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
This is now a moot point, but I always thought that all V8 VEs had the LSD as standard. Odd the Calais wouldn't.

Also, would it not be a good idea, to spend a bit extra and opt for something a little tougher than the standard units, whatever model they're from? Apparently they don't do so well with even a little extra HP. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Detroit diff centres from Harrop. Thought this is for a manual.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Well guess if I go 3.45 then I'll have a 3.27 with less than 15000kms on it to sell. Just wondering if anybody could tell me if this change is worthwhile? Would such a change improve, lets say, 1/4 mile times? I don't care about loosing some top end speed 'cos ya can't use it anyway...but getting there quicker would be nice. I reckon an increase of 300rpm or so @ 100kmh would work well with my current exhaust set up as well. Guess it would also be necessary to have tuned after the change...so hopefully the SIDI tune is up and running to make the most of it. So worthwhile or not?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
This is now a moot point, but I always thought that all V8 VEs had the LSD as standard. Odd the Calais wouldn't.

Also, would it not be a good idea, to spend a bit extra and opt for something a little tougher than the standard units, whatever model they're from? Apparently they don't do so well with even a little extra HP. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Detroit diff centres from Harrop. Thought this is for a manual.

LSD is optional in the calais. As for the strength, won't bother me too much. It'll do what i want :)

Well guess if I go 3.45 then I'll have a 3.27 with less than 15000kms on it to sell. Just wondering if anybody could tell me if this change is worthwhile? Would such a change improve, lets say, 1/4 mile times? I don't care about loosing some top end speed 'cos ya can't use it anyway...but getting there quicker would be nice. I reckon an increase of 300rpm or so @ 100kmh would work well with my current exhaust set up as well. Guess it would also be necessary to have tuned after the change...so hopefully the SIDI tune is up and running to make the most of it. So worthwhile or not?

Depends on what you want but most of the feedback is very positive so it's personal preference really.

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
I've got 3.7 I'm my ve VE Calais, and love them. Was thinking about 3.45 but everyone was getting them an thought I would try something different.

It's a massive changed compaird to standard, and 1st gear isn't too short.
If you leaving your car N/A the 3.7 is the way to go, but if you going to go forced induction you should stay down low 3.27 or 3.45.

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
All the ss range and hsv range have LSD all other cars it's an option.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've got 3.7 I'm my ve VE Calais, and love them. Was thinking about 3.45 but everyone was getting them an thought I would try something different.

It's a massive changed compaird to standard, and 1st gear isn't too short.
If you leaving your car N/A the 3.7 is the way to go, but if you going to go forced induction you should stay down low 3.27 or 3.45.

What rpm are you doing at 100?

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
I think I sit around 1900

befor I got the gears I could sit on 2000rpm at 135kph
now I sit at 2000rpm and doing about 105-107

I haven't noticed any major differnce with litres per 100ks

hope this helps

KARTAL

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Commodore VE SV6
Anyone wanting to know how 3.7's go in a manual i should be able to tell you by the end off the week. I will have a 3.45 diff centre for sale at the same time only done 30000km's

heyy mate.. assuming your 3.45 diff is out of a manual.. how much $$?? and wanna no if it bolts straight to a sv6..

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Out of interest would there be any takers on a 3.27 diff with under 15000kms on it...at a price of course?