Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have to make a quick decision as the price was a weekend special but will still be available to me today.

That old chestnut.

If you really want that partcular vehicle, take the time to make a balanced decision and then offer them that price later in the week I doubt they will refuse.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Remember, you’re the one that should be putting the pressure on them, not the other way around. You have the money, and they want your money. Play the game a little, go and look at some from other dealers and use the different pricing as leverage to get yourself a better deal.

Never let them know that you’re in love with the car you’re looking at - if you get too excited they’ll play on that and you may end up paying more than necessary

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That old chestnut.

If you really want that partcular vehicle, take the time to make a balanced decision and then offer them that price later in the week I doubt they will refuse.
Agreed. Captiva buyers are not that thick on the ground and dealers are usually glad to clear any Captiva stock they have. It's genuinely a case of mud sticking when it comes to reputation and Captiva have more mud than most.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know my bro in law has a diesel around the same year and the heater core burst spraying hot coolant. Don't know how common that fault is. Just lucky for him it was repaired under warranty.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
We were lucky with our 2006 Captiva. They were fitted with 3.2 litre alloytecs, modified for the FWD installation. Their engines were built at the same time as the first VE's and they had the same timing chains, which meant that they could also suffer the stretched chains. Ours, purchased at 133k, sold 3 years later at 206k, ran perfectly, though it was very thirsty. The dealer was very surprised how smoothly and quietly it ran when we traded it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We were lucky with our 2006 Captiva. They were fitted with 3.2 litre alloytecs, modified for the FWD installation. Their engines were built at the same time as the first VE's and they had the same timing chains, which meant that they could also suffer the stretched chains. Ours, purchased at 133k, sold 3 years later at 206k, ran perfectly, though it was very thirsty. The dealer was very surprised how smoothly and quietly it ran when we traded it.

Must have been a Tuesday/Wednesday build car....

I drove one of those Captiva's as a rental, was fairly newish but can't say I was impressed with it, certainly didn't like the autobox. Strangely the lady at the counter said the Captiva was an upgrade from the VE wagon I had booked but wasn't available :(

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Strangely the lady at the counter said the Captiva was an upgrade from the VE wagon I had booked but wasn't available :(

I'd say sadly rather than strangely.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
For some reason, Captiva and some other SUV's have transmission lock emergency releases as standard. I've never seen them on non-SUV's. You unclip a small cover tab near the gear selector and insert the ignition key to unlock the selector. That might have been what was required in this case, but to include this emergency release as standard makes me wonder if the factory knew something but only adopted a cheap "fix" instead of sorting the problem out properly. It appeared on every automatic Captiva regardless of engine or model.

A fair few FWD vehicles have that feature of the lockout and the tab to manually override it.

The Holden Barinas circa 2010 to atleast 2012 had an issue with the brake selector safety switch.

Basically what is meant to happen when you put your foot on the brake pedal a micro switch flicks a small tab out of the way, allowing the shifter to move freely out of park. The Barina ones would fail in the switch itself, a superseded part was introduced and it was a 10 minute procedure to fix.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just an update.
I've had my Captiva for a month now and I must say I am extremely happy with it so far.
It obviously doesn't have the power of my LS1 but it isn't a slug by any means.
I am saving a fortune on fuel as well.

DSC00047.JPG

DSC00048.JPG
DSC00049.JPG

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
there's two Captiva's at my work (colleagues personal cars) and they both seem very happy. There's also a CX-7, it's falling apart. As always with cars, YMMV.