Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a change.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Is that the one you were looking at?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is that the one you were looking at?

Yes it is Pete.
The lighting is not too good, it's actually a brilliant white. Looks light blue in the photos.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
One thing you will notice is that the high beam is a waste of time. The locally designed cars had vastly superior headlights.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
One thing you will notice is that the high beam is a waste of time. The locally designed cars had vastly superior headlights.

I haven't needed to use the high beams yet, but low beams are very good.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Nice buy,

There are a couple of things I will tell you to monitor with the 2.2l Diesel mate.
Here they are....

1.Keep a check on the coolant, every month.
2.Keep a check of your garage parking spot for engine oil, poke your head under every month and check the underneath for ANY oil leaks.
3.If you get it serviced anywhere other than a holden dealer, DONT.

Yeah yeah, I know but there are some good ones out there, just got to make sure they are on top of their **** thats all.
And if you need ANY advice on it hit me up a PM and I can tell you anything you need to know about these.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice buy,

There are a couple of things I will tell you to monitor with the 2.2l Diesel mate.
Here they are....

1.Keep a check on the coolant, every month.
2.Keep a check of your garage parking spot for engine oil, poke your head under every month and check the underneath for ANY oil leaks.
3.If you get it serviced anywhere other than a holden dealer, DONT.

Yeah yeah, I know but there are some good ones out there, just got to make sure they are on top of their **** thats all.
And if you need ANY advice on it hit me up a PM and I can tell you anything you need to know about these.

Thank you for the advice mate.

I check all fluids regularly, at least weekly.
Unlike my Caprice there are no leaks reaching the garage floor but the bottom of the transmission is quite stained with an oily residue from some sort of leak or weeping gasket. It looks dry in the picture but it is really moist. I assume that is part of the transmission, I'm used to the Holden V6 and LS1. I am very new to the 2.2 turbo diesel.
IMG20190305075433.jpg

Almost due for the 70,000 km service, which will be done by Holden, as much as it kills me to do so.

I also have a shudder through the steering wheel when turning at low speeds, reversing out of my garage etc.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Will be interesting to see if they point out this oil leak to you, on the service and vehicle check over.

Looks like transmission fluid to me. Mmm, hard to say from the pic. Looks to be coming from further up the front of the vehicle and blowing rearward or it maybe the LHF driveshaft seal leaking and running down the side to the bottom.

What colour are the droplets if any?

IMG20190305075433.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will be interesting to see if they point out this oil leak to you, on the service and vehicle check over.

View attachment 204042
I will be pointing it out to them, and they will probably tell me that it is normal.
There are no droplets to indicate what the colour is. I can't tell whether it is engine oil or transmission fluid.
The fact that there is no dipstick to check the transmission fluid doesn't help, I can't tell if the level is low, which could point to a leak.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I don't think they will tell you it is normal. No leak is normal. Geezus, they're F@!#%ED if they do.

The fluid level check procedure in these 6speeds is critical as they have a temp controlled fluid valve that controls the fluid level in the sump of these.
Fluid level checking of these transmissions is a fairly involved procedure. A no experienced DIY'er just wont be able to do without knowing the exact temprature of the fluid at the time of checking the level at the fluid level check plug, with a scantool.
They take DEXRON 6 spec fluid ONLY. Or fully synthetic, Penrite do a good equivalent. Put any other fluid in them and the box is toast !!