Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a New Head Unit

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Howdy Guys,
I'm after some advice here, my original Alpine unit was a fantastic piece of plastic which to this day is still working and in it's 5th car which has got to say something for it. The only thing which went wrong was the fact that the down volume button had got dust in it which required a simple clean.

I replaced that with one of the Pioneer head units which at the time cost me around the $900 mark which was close to top of the range about 18 months ago.

I recently tried changing CD's to find as soon as I dropped the face down the unit switched off so I had to resort to a jewelers screwdrivers which did the trick, I figured instead of getting it repaired I'll buy a new one but then comes the delemar of what to get.

I was completely satisfied with the Alpine head unit I had previously so I'll be looking at spending around the same as what I did previously. Here's the one I have in mind at present, look here

Price wise I am not entirely sure but from what I can gather prices have really dropped.

Any other suggestions, as I've previously stated I've never been a huge fan of Sony or Kenwood so other than that I'm not really sure.

Cheers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
http://search.ebay.com.au/cda-9835_W0QQsatitleZcdaQ2d9835QQsoloctogZ9

Looks good, I'd grab it personally, I love alpine to bits, and mines still going strong after 2 years with not a single issue.

Theres a hard drive one their, wondering how good that would be.. The interface looks a bit strange, but a hard drive would be awesome for the amount of tunes you can have on it.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
nice choice darren msg me on msn and ill give u some advice.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Great to hear I'm not the only one which has had nothing but pleasure owning Alpine gear although I'd be very interested in people who have had problems.

I just can't believe how much the prices have dropped since I last looked!.

I dare say I'll be getting it here in Adelaide as looking at the postage on that thing ($60), I reckon you'd be responsible for either way which works out rather costly if it needed to go back. I have no idea what they go for here in Adelaide, time to do a bit of shopping.

I'll speak with you when your online next and I ain't at work.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Just a quick one before I head into work.

Someone is sure making some profit somewhere along the lines. Just been around to a couple of audio places around Adelaide who can do it for $1350 installed. On E-Bay you can pick it up for $700 including postage, GST add another $70 so there's still a bit to be make up if they can sell it for $1399 or the cheapest $1350. The only thing with E-Bay is the fact if anything goes wrong you pay for postage.

Food for thought that's for sure

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
it's time for me to get a new deck the pioneer deck has already screwed it self on me only had it 6 months it is covered under warranty and dad is going to buy it off of me and i will get a better one. i might go alpine or eclispe. by the way darren have you checked out tonkins at modbury, there great guys.

cheers

scott

p.s bloody pioneer crap

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with problems.

I don't know much about Eclipse but Alpine I would personally recommend for sure given what I have stated in the above posts. The guys up at Modbury wouldn't do anything less than RRP which I thought was a bit of a joke, anyway I got in touch with Tonkins who would do the 9833 for $999, Complete Audio for $950 and Alberts in WA could do it for $770 (cheapest I could find other than E-Bay) including freight to Adelaide. As I've had previous dealings with Complete Audio I went up and asked Angelo whether he could match it which he did.

I'm getting the baby installed this Saturday morning so you'll hear me coming home :D When it's kind of expensive I rather than leave it to the experts that way if something goes wrong that's their own fault.

Already put new 6x9's in the back so everything is looking pretty good.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
ok cool i really like them i think their alright but now i've got the problem getting my deck out.

cheers

scott

p.s hope your pioneer deck treats you better then mine did