Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for some new tyres

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Nitto Invo.. About 250 a corner..

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
I'm a huge fan of the Bridgestone's but yep they are pricey. I'm running Michelin PS2's on the VE at present and they don't stack up against the Bridgestone. Will be swapping over to Yokohama Advan's whch I'm running on the VT at present. Not cheap, but a hellva tyre.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Pzero are known to wear quickly, how long did they last with you?

I usually get around 50,000 km (give or take) out of a set of tyres. My PZero Nero's have done just over 20,000km at the moment and are looking very good. They may be less than half worn in my estimation but hard to accurately comment.

I can't comment on tyres I haven't had myself but all I can say is they seem excellent value and compare well in Tyrerack ( a USA tyre site) comparisons on Noise and performance and i like them better than my previous 3 sets of tyres. Falken, Nexen, Kumho.

GKW, I am interested in your comment about Advans. Must research them further.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, they are very sticky and have a tread wear rating of 320, so should be good for a fair few km's. I paid $279 each for 235/40/18's I think.

If you want something a bit better, check out the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I must say i haven't looked at Michelin Tyres before. Doing a quick check i noticed they recommend Pilot Sport 3, Pilot Super Sport and Primacy HP.

Some of the reviews i looked at seem to indicate that the Pilot Sport 3 are noisy around the 80-100kms/hr mark. Have you noticed this? Is there much tramlining with the Pilot Sport 3's?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I must say i haven't looked at Michelin Tyres before. Doing a quick check i noticed they recommend Pilot Sport 3, Pilot Super Sport and Primacy HP.

Some of the reviews i looked at seem to indicate that the Pilot Sport 3 are noisy around the 80-100kms/hr mark. Have you noticed this? Is there much tramlining with the Pilot Sport 3's?

The tyres I had on my car when I bought it were cheap Chinese crap that were very noisy, so the PS3's are very quiet compared to them. But I cannot compare them to the other tyres these guys suggested sorry. They are also extremely good in the wet.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Bridgestones are noisey. If you were happy the Bridgey level of tyre noise then most other brands are compatible. The Michy's are normally good for noise but are less of a performance tyre.
Shop around, you can get the Bridgey's for a good price (ie: 1200 for a set)

28K's out of set of tyres is shocking. What are you doing out there?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I know you said no to the 452's, but I'm going to suggest them again anyway :surprise:.

Compared to the stock Bridgestone's, which are VERY overpriced and are only a good performing tyre because of their softer compound (hence why NO ONE gets good milage out of them), the Falken's kick the crap out of them in every department. I know you said you find them noisy under braking, but honestly I've never experienced that in any car I've had them installed on.

I bought my last set (20's) online on EBay through St George Tyres, had them shipped and got them installed locally. You wont find anything else cheaper purchased and installed locally, and you're getting Falken's flagship performance tyre for less than half what the local guys are trying to sell them to you for.