Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for some new tyres

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
hmmm don't know. same thing happened to my Turanzas and i was running them at 36psi (17 inch ). How high do you need to go to get them to wear evenly ?

I regularly check mine cold at 38 and they look good on the front, but the rears look to be wearing more in the centre. It's all a bit tricky to get the best mileage out of them for sure.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Yeah tyre pressure for best mileage is a personal observation.. Depends on weight of car etc..

Lavvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II
I got about 54,000 km out of my stock potenzas and in the end it was a screw in the front passanger tyre that got me. I ended up going with Nexen N8000's and I'm really happy with them. Nice and quiet and i've noticed better performance than the potenzas (maybe just because there is more tread on em).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I regularly check mine cold at 38 and they look good on the front, but the rears look to be wearing more in the centre. It's all a bit tricky to get the best mileage out of them for sure.
That's interesting, i've been running 36 all round and the rear tyres wore on the sides, very little in the centre while the fronts are wearing moer evenly, slightly more on the outside than inside. Fronts are still going after 45 thousand ish and rears just replaced.
And just for the record, nobody seems to pay any attention to the fact that most tyres wear rates are written on the sidewall for all to see !! Check the treadwear rating..... Anything under 300 will wear out too quick for a commodore IMHO! Get something rated at 320-400 and you'll have them for ages. If you really want to power round wet corners through the mountains that's a different story, but that's why we all have ESP right ?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Sorry UFO but I know several owners that get decent K's out of RE050's.
My last set were replaced at 47K and they still had some in them. Not bad for a good performing Soft Compound...
Here's a photo of my RE050'S on the wagon at 29K with most of it done running around in SYD peak hours:
View attachment 152553

Hey Thumpin, I'd be very interested to hear from the "several owner's" who claim to get decent k's out of them, seriously.
The RE050's are notorious for poor milage... just google them, you'll see.
But dont take my word for it.... do a little research on "tread wear grade" and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Bridgestone's in question have a rating 140, and whilst you cant really compare trade ratings from one manufacturer to another, you CAN from the same manufacturer. And when you do that, you'll be hard pressed to find another tyre made by Bridgestone with a lower tread wear rating. They are targeted specifically as a softer compound tyre mate.... and "high wear life" is not part of the sales spiel, you can trust me on that.

Also, with the picture you've provided.... it's a little hard to tell due to the shadow, but it looks like you are either underinflating your tyres or there is a camber issue on your car.... because it appears as though you are getting A LOT more wear on the outside of your tyres than you are on the inside. And if what you say is true.... and you did drive almost 20,000km more on these tyres youve taken a picture of, you were most certainly putting yourself in danger mate. They are hardly roadworthy as is (very close) let alone another 20,000km! Look at the tyre edge... how the hell you were getting traction in the wet around a corner is beyond me... virtually nothing left. Minimum legal tread depth is 1.5mm across the full face of the tyre. You'll be lucky to have that at the edges.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
double up.............

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Hey Thumpin, I'd be very interested to hear from the "several owner's" who claim to get decent k's out of them, seriously.
The RE050's are notorious for poor milage... just google them, you'll see.
But dont take my word for it.... do a little research on "tread wear grade" and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Bridgestone's in question have a rating 140, and whilst you cant really compare trade ratings from one manufacturer to another, you CAN from the same manufacturer. And when you do that, you'll be hard pressed to find another tyre made by Bridgestone with a lower tread wear rating. They are targeted specifically as a softer compound tyre mate.... and "high wear life" is not part of the sales spiel, you can trust me on that.

Also, with the picture you've provided.... it's a little hard to tell due to the shadow, but it looks like you are either underinflating your tyres or there is a camber issue on your car.... because it appears as though you are getting A LOT more wear on the outside of your tyres than you are on the inside. And if what you say is true.... and you did drive almost 20,000km more on these tyres youve taken a picture of, you were most certainly putting yourself in danger mate. They are hardly roadworthy as is (very close) let alone another 20,000km! Look at the tyre edge... how the hell you were getting traction in the wet around a corner is beyond me... virtually nothing left. Minimum legal tread depth is 1.5mm across the full face of the tyre. You'll be lucky to have that at the edges.
Cheers. Thanks for the education session. Everything is fine.:surprise:
To reinforce my tyre life claim, just read the replies to this thread. Never say never...:rofl2:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. Thanks for the education session. Everything is fine.:surprise:
To reinforce my tyre life claim, just read the replies to this thread. Never say never...:rofl2:

umm.... i had to google search the correct reply to this, and I think I found a winner :yeah:.

1232181663_wtf_wtf_demotivational_poster_41357550692-41357644429_xlarge.jpeg

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
UFO, did you take my reply offensively?
Wasn't meant to be. I thought it was a polite way of saying "look before you leap". Just because You & Others get bad wear life from RE050's doesn't mean all users have the same experience (In your upper case shouting words "NO ONE") is unfounded as I have tried to point out:hmmm:

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Take a look at the shoulders on that tyre, they are technically getting close to being illegal !! Typical of many 'new' Brigestone tryes. Gives me the irrits.......
Could be the photo, but bridgestone's have a rounded edge profile. Here's a photo of a new tyre for comparison:
RE050 new.jpg