Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time To Turbo, Where Do I Start?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
wow thats quite interesting, if this is so cheap why doesnt everyone resort to it? whats the downside?

Pretty easy and cheap to turbo the V6, you have one major major problem, That is it's not legal in any way shape or form :) so as with all other boosted setups on modern cars the day you first get pulled over you will be removing it all and going over the pits with a stocker. And that's why not many people do it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
stock VR donk has been pushed to 19psi and only blown a headgasket with a overboost (boost controller failure, 21psi). i'd suggest fitting a ecotec oil pressure spring. stock is only 50psi and with turbo using oil some extra pressure can't hurt. ecotecs run about 75psi.

as delco said, stick with the stock ecu and fuel setup. you may want to fit a bigger pump but thats about it. don't get the rising rate pump, people used it to get around tuning properly but they generally always resulted in some sort of engine failure sooner or later

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can get the turbo certified over there easy enough i have a few cars ive tuned over there that are fully certified for turbo.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Alrighty well ive taken all this info in so far and i officially understand the turbo concept and how it works lol. This is my basic understanding...(paint style lol)
social-albums-random-picture4893-picture-20204-jpggg.jpg

Exhaust gases are sent through piping into side A of the turbo and a pipe into a wastegate, resulting in turning the turbine, as the turbine builds up pressure, the wastegate will open once it has reached a certain boost psi allowing excess exhaust gases to exit so that the engine doesnt overload (if i cn put it in those terms), The result of the turbone turning on side B pulls through a larger intake of air and depending if there is a intercooler or not, either runs through it or not and then enters the throttlebody. A Loud whistle is dispersed from the fast escaping pressure out the blowoff valve as it builds up and once the gear has peaked out, and the clutch has been pushed in, the throttlebody closes causing the pressure to escape through the blow off valve causing the well known WHHHHHHIII CH CH CH CH CH... Please correct me if im wrong lol

My plan / questions are as follows...

For the turbo itself im probably going to do with a t70, although im not 100% sure at what point the spooling wqould occur, i would prefer a 2500rpm spooling to start... if anyone knows of specific turbos or how i can work out the right one for me, please post up

As for the manifolds, ive browsed mainly two different types . One requires the crossover pipe to run around the back at the bottom of the engine and the other in the front (2 diffferent setups in pics below). Im most likely going to choose the front setup, mainly because i have more opportunity to seeing the results and parts needed etc. I will somehow find out the specs for the piping and get some measurements going and end up welding it up myself, i kno too stingey to buy a pre-made set, but wheres the fun in that and who in their right mind as 1st yr apprentices can afford it lol.
Here the two setups;

Front setup A
42790d1196560069-4-2l-vr-v6-turbo-picture-204.jpg

Front Setup B
vn-vs.jpg

Rear Setup
finished02.jpg
cross%20over%20exhaust.jpg

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey guys would the setup be much different for an ecotec? Could you just get new manifold, turbo, intercooler, tune, exhaust, injectors?
Has anyone on here done this?
Thanks guys, and goodluck social

VR ST3LTH

ST3LTH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 commodore
When doing a setup like this do you need to have a 1,2 or 3 MAP sensor? if so where abouts do you place it.. cheers.

VR ST3LTH

ST3LTH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 commodore
oh and this may sound really stupid but what is that part thats been outlined in yellow?