Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing belt & camshaft oil seal replacement

grazm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Can anyone please advise on the following:

1. In the Gregory's manual it states that the rocker shaft retaining bolts should be loosened to allow correct tensioning of the new timing belt. I don't understand the logic, why?

2. The camshaft oil seal was leaking, so decided to replace. The old seal was all perished so I need to remove the camshaft thrust plate to completely clean out the old seal and to replace the old O-ring. Is there any easy way to get the thrust plate off the camshaft ? It doesn't want to move without the camshaft.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

grazm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
I've now answered my own questions, so will post in case anyone else is interested.

1. In the Gregory's manual it states that the rocker shaft retaining bolts should be loosened to allow correct tensioning of the new timing belt. I don't understand the logic, why?
The rocker shaft retaining bolts are loosened to relieve compression making it easier to tighten the "non-tensioner" side of the timing belt by turning the camshaft drive gear anti-clockwise, once the timing belt has been installed and tensioned.
I didn't bother loosening the rocker shaft bolts but instead removed the spark plugs. Seemed to work out OK.

2. The camshaft oil seal was leaking, so decided to replace. The old seal was all perished so I need to remove the camshaft thrust plate to completely clean out the old seal and to replace the old O-ring. Is there any easy way to get the thrust plate off the camshaft ? It doesn't want to move without the camshaft.

The camshaft thrust plate can't be removed without partly withdrawing the camshaft. I didn't want all the extra work so perservered without removing thrust plate. For those who want to know, the thrust plate needs to be turned clockwise on the camshaft and then move it forward, to remove it. (Thats facing the front of the camshaft)

Thats all folks

Last edited: