Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Belt snapped at 38km have I stuffed it?

NAILS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina
This evening after an already bad day, i was driving home behing an old blue hair, went to change gears then nothing. No power no nothing. When I got home and pulled a few bits off the engine, lo and behold a snapped timing belt. But no major noises came out of the motor when she cut power.

What do you reckon I'v busted. One mate reckons I should pull the head off before changing timing belt and check valve and piston damage. The thought of which is slightly daunting, cause it's been a while since I'v done anything like that.

What's your opinion?:bang:

mrcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
jus go and buy a timing belt install and go from there. much cheaper than pulling head off cause if the head is ok u wont have to buy a new gasket wen its time to put it back together.. id say engine is ok if its a free spining engine. not sure if its a free spining engine. should do a search on it

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
are you sure its snapped? from what Ive heard its interferrence and their should have been noises

look at camshaft while starter is operated and see if cam moves or not

keep old belt as evidence if it did snap

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
did you do any other work while your were doing your cambelt? I have seen cams seize in these things causing it to snap or shred teeth off