Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Belt

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Hey theres probably already sometihng on this but here goes anyway... i have a my 10 sidi vs6 and am getting full exhaust system done, extractors etc, and need to get it tuned cause of the engine light.
A mate of mine suggested while i was there to get the timming belt adjusted ... does anyone know whats involved in this and what sort of gains i would expect
also if anyone has had a tune done on one of these were you happy with the results

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
dont know about your timing belt but there are no extractors for the sidi engine. the exhaust port is a single port which is a moulded part of the head in otherwords its all one piece

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Pretty sure the timing is not adjustable in these engines, the timing is done with chains i believe like on a push bike rather than a rubber belt....someone please correct me if the sidi engine is different

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
VE's use a chain. Your "mate" doesnt know what he's talking about.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Pacemaker are doing extractors for the 3.6 sidi and provide longer O2 sensor leads as the cats need to be moved and therefore shouldn't set off warning lights. Tune not necessary (but thoroughly recommended) for extractors or CAI but do both before tune. Castle Hill Exhaust in Sydney and I believe MACE Engineering in Melbourne are currently offering sidi tunes (although yet to see any numbers from MACE).

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
Pacemaker are doing extractors for the 3.6 sidi and provide longer O2 sensor leads as the cats need to be moved and therefore shouldn't set off warning lights. Tune not necessary (but thoroughly recommended) for extractors or CAI but do both before tune. Castle Hill Exhaust in Sydney and I believe MACE Engineering in Melbourne are currently offering sidi tunes (although yet to see any numbers from MACE).
what sort of extractors? are there two different heads on those engines? all the sidi"s I've looked at have the single exhaust outlet coming from an exhaust chamber that's part of the head itself.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
what sort of extractors? are there two different heads on those engines? all the sidi"s I've looked at have the single exhaust outlet coming from an exhaust chamber that's part of the head itself.

Long pipey sort of extractors :). And yes the 3L and 3.6L are different.

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Yeah i thought they used a chain but wasn't sure, hence the thread... I have 3.6L which you can get pacemaker extractors for but everybody i spoke to said that if you do cat and extractors you get your engine light even with the O2 extensions... i know castle hill exhaust do it but does anyone know of anywhere else in NSW that tunes these cars ???

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
:rofl:

okay im over them having belts... almost!-------- now~!

they run chains (three in a complicated untunable setup) many companies are working on sidi timing maps for the camshaft position actuators
which are oil fed that change cam timing; when they have it right it will be like a "mafless tune" but for a sidi motor (v6) !~
until then hold tight huh? i'm still waiting for a succesful long term tune to be proven.... ( for ve AND for ve/sidi)
by this i mean = no engine light on and same lifetime of parts as standard (or a little less as performance tune is to be expected reduction of lifespan of parts)

as for o2 sensors burning out :rofl2: just use the original catylic converters re-welded into you new bigger exhaust system and you'll have know problems

basically the o2 sensor's with "high-flow" catylic convereters are running at a higher temperature
this higher temerature burns the sensing part of the o2 sensors beyond there normal allowable temperautre limits (by about 200degrees or so )
so by using the original catylic converters re-welded in you can avoid this common fault ever happening

fyi this applies to ve v8 AND v6

now before theres too many haters out there i will say
i've had multiple success's reusing original cat's and the bonus is that they meet emissions requirements
the original cat's rob next to no kw's and so it worthwhile re-using them

(feel free too hate but thats my experience)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I've had no lights with mine at all. Don't believe anyone else doing the tune in NSW. Give Dale @ CHE a ring he'll sort you out.