Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing belt

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
Hey ya'll. My 2003 1.8 Astra is apparently due for a timing belt/water pump! The car had a timing belt replacement at 60k and now it's close to 120k. Now you guys know cars and correct me if I'm wrong but the timing is usually done at 80 to 100k?
Should I let this one go to 200k and do the water pump too, or would it be risky?
Would anyone here do this work them self or should I get a shop to do it! I can buy a Dayco kit for $300 off EBay. I've had quotes of $1200 to as low as $700 with parts included.
What to you guys think?
Thanks in advance

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Change it when it's due!
We get them coming into the workshop just over the time & the belt has broken or a pulley has let go. $3500.00 to get them running again. They bend every valve & wreck the valve seats.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Now you guys know cars and correct me if I'm wrong but the timing is usually done at 80 to 100k?
Should I let this one go to 200k and do the water pump too, or would it be risky?

It's replaced at whatever the manufacturer says it is, there's no standard replacement time across all manufacturers.

Unlike a timing CHAIN which usually just stretches, the belt will snap eventually. When this happens, you'll bend your valves and that'll be the engine gone.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
change it, not hard to do, I've done two, first took me 3-4 hrs the second only 2hrs, holden changed the 90klm to 60klm after they were having to many problems this was the TS MODEL