Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Chain Issue VE Commodore 2006 HELP PLEASE

schmidty7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Commodore 06
My 2006 Commodore has been checked out by my mate who is a mechanic at a Toyota Workshop. My engine warning light has been on for a few weeks and the error message indicated i needed to replace Cam Sensors which i had done. A week later the light came back on and after getting online and my mates thoughts it appears my timing chain is stuffed. What are my options? I cant really sell it with an engine light on and it possibly reappearing at irregular times after i delete the warning codes.

Would it be cheaper to replace the engine with one i can buy online or from the wreckers? or is it better to spend 2k on a new timing chain. Either way something needs to be done at some stage. I hope someone runs up the back of me tomorrow! WOOOO!

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Either way something needs to be done at some stage. I hope someone runs up the back of me tomorrow! WOOOO![/QUOTE]

Just call the cuz's up man, I am sure for 1grand and some parts off your car they will make your little problem "vanish".
You are fully insured yeah?
Best option I reckon

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
replace the timing chain , the replacement chain will see you through , its was an unfortunate problem on some of the Alloytec V6's that the timing chain tended to stretch .
there is a thread around somewhere on the subject of stretched timing chain , which from memory has the list of the affected engine numbers .

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Just call the cuz's up man, I am sure for 1grand and some parts off your car they will make your little problem "vanish".
You are fully insured yeah?

So what you're saying is the best option is to commit insurance fraud?

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
So what you're saying is the best option is to commit insurance fraud?

No I would call it just getting your own back after being sold an inferior product, why does the poor ol consumer have to lose out all the time.
A timing chain is a chain, not a rubber belt, you would expect it to last the life of the engine, might need to change a tensioner, but to have a timing chain stretch and then be told you have to pay 2 grand, fark that, it should be replaced under warranty and a stronger one installed, fark up at the factory, should not be the responsibility of the consumer. was it not found that the timing chains where not up to the job, anyway, so what if it is out of warranty, its a defective componant of the engine, should be replaced for free.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
cost me $2000 for my timing chain to be done.in melbourne

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
No I would call it just getting your own back after being sold an inferior product, why does the poor ol consumer have to lose out all the time.
A timing chain is a chain, not a rubber belt, you would expect it to last the life of the engine, might need to change a tensioner, but to have a timing chain stretch and then be told you have to pay 2 grand, fark that, it should be replaced under warranty and a stronger one installed, fark up at the factory, should not be the responsibility of the consumer. was it not found that the timing chains where not up to the job, anyway, so what if it is out of warranty, its a defective componant of the engine, should be replaced for free.

No, it's insurance fraud. There's no justification, it's outright insurance fraud.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
That's why our insurance keeps going up , So in the end the consumer pays anyway .

schmidty7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Commodore 06
Can anything be done to prolong the issue? am i better off clearing the codes and seeing how long it takes to present again and on sell? Ethically i don't think i will be able to do that but i am considering options. Insurance fraud isn't something that i want to flirt with otherwise i would just get someone to torch my car. That would be the easiest option.

I live in Port Macquarie and will contact some local mechanics as Holden said between 2500 and 3000 bucks to repair. Is there any form of repair guide available and i can hit my mate up.. but i have a feeling it will be quite a hands on job and may require some experience on the issue. Thanks.