Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain question

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi all, hoping someone can give me a second opinion

I am getting a secondhand engine on my 08 SV6 due to the timing chain being shot in my current engine ($900 for a secondhand one with warranty sounds better than $2000 + for a new timing chain) and I am wondering what your guys opinion is on preventing or at least prolonging timing chain issues in these engines. someone suggested more frequent oil services and to increase the size of the breather hole under the drivers side rocker cover (because the stock hole is tiny compared to the passengers side breather) but looking for second opinions as i mentioned.

leave your thoughts below for me!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
my motor has 240 xxx kms on it, new one has 180 xxx kms. new engine fitted as well as purchased would be $1500. all mechanics in my town do timing chains for over $2000 and Holden is by far no better.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I definitely know that i’m getting the new motor, I just wanted to get opinions on how to prolong timing chain issues in it - i.e more frequent oil changes, increasing the size of the breather hole i mentioned, or anything else you can think of :)

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
As you said frequent oil changes (5-7.5k) and open up that breather hold on the drivers side rocker cover, as ole mate above said how do you know the engine your getting is a good one? Do u know the service history etc? U could end up being in the same boat a year down the track

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well, for my money, the difference in cost isn't so great that I'd chance an unknown second hand motor. It could have chains nearing the end of their life and have the inadequate breather. The same problems you have now might not be far off with its replacement. I agree that 2k is a lot to pay but you'd at least know what you are getting. 1.5k for an unknown quantity? Hmm, I hope you're lucky.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My feeling is oil changes often should help to reduce timing chain problems along with correct oil as per your books with the vehicle.