Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain rattle?

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Mine's at 513,000km and sounds nasty around 4,000RPM and higher - sort of metallic or could just be normal. (Rarely go there.) Guessing it too could be a stretched timing chain? Is fine a normal RPMs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At 513k Mikey, yours could even be piston slap or five other things.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is odd, a rattle that gets less with heat when the oil is thinner.

What oil do you run, when was the last time the oil and filter were changed?

I'd start with an oil/filter change if it hasn't been done recently and consider adding some Nulon Lifter free as a first port of call.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That is odd, a rattle that gets less with heat when the oil is thinner.

Mine does the same thing, similar engine to an Eco. The noise quietens down once engine gets up to temp. I thought lifters but put in Lifter Free Up and run it for 3k, no difference. Did some research and balance shaft seemed to be most likely culprit. Guess the diff with an Eco is the BS bearings have oil pressure, where as mine doesn't.

LatinDancer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Executive
Thanks for your replies, dudes. I like our VYs a lot....more than any car I have owned. I was told they are the best Holden out there.

Balance shaft rattle ? (GROAN). But engines on LPG have far less wear than petrol. If it is that, perhaps a thicker oil will fix it ?

The oil and filter are only 5,000 Ks old, but I'll get a bottle of Lifter Free and see what it does, then report back. I wonder how long / how many Ks it takes before I can tell if it is that or not ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You can normally diagnose a noisy rear balance shaft bearing by using a long screw driver like a stethoscope and listen at the back of the motor right in the middle behind the intake manifold. If it is the bearing you should hear a rattle.

LPG is cleaner burning so in theory less carbon build up (as I understand it but I'm no expert) but can be hard of valve seats due to a lack of lubricity in the fuel.

What grade oil?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reckon I might invest in a stethoscope. I believe they are fairly inexpensive nowadays from SCA and the like. I have used the screwdriver trick but I sometimes struggle to pinpoint the noise.

LatinDancer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Executive
The car in question actually has a container of valve-saver fluid which is permanently plumbed into the intake system.
I'm not sure what oil is currently in there....we only bought it about 3,000 Ks ago.
Difficult to use a stethoscope when the car only makes that noise when it accelerates. Tomorrow morning I will start it and rev it to see if it happens when I am just sitting there revving it, rather than going up a small hill.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow then that is a loud engine noise if you hear it from the cab while driving. If yes consider selling it as it sounds like a problem rather than a mild rattle when the engine is cold.