Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain replaced - Engine rattles 20 000km later. Possible cause?

VECom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi,

I have a series I VE. The engine started to rattle at about 105-110000 km and so I got the chains replaced. Chains bought from the Holden dealer. Chains bought late 2013 I think.

The engine now has 135 000km on it and has started to rattle again when I first start it up. Just like before. It only rattles for a few seconds until oil pressure gets up. No fault codes. Car runs fine.

I couldn't see that my chains would have stretched again and though perhaps fault with one of the tensioners not staying out to hold tension on the chain. So I pulled the front of the engine and had a look. All tensioners were working but were out a bit. The chains were tight with the exception of the chain after the RH exhaust cam where it was lose. I thought this may take up when engine turned over.

Is there someone with some experience with these that from looking at the photos can tell if the chains look ok or stretched?

Thanks,

Greg
RHS1.jpg
LHS.jpg
Bottom.jpg

Last edited: