Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Chain Replacement

ozyjimbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Timing Chain
Short tut

remove covers remove inlet manifold remove coil packs unclip left hand side wire loom and earth strap loosen plenum inlet manifold 2 bolts makes it easier to remove rocker covers remove power steering pump and bracket move it out of the way no need to disconnect it remove air compressor and bracket move it to one side no need to disconnect it
remove drive belt and belt adjuster remove radiator hose remove radiator filler from front block remove balancer see sump removal on ways to get balancer off

unbolt front cover there are three lever points on the front cover that are a pain to get to so all i did was use a prey bar between the cam bolt and front cover to prey the front cover do this to both sides so the front cover doesn't kink it does take a little effort once front cover is removed put balancer bolt back in rotate motor clock wise and make sure all timing marks match up

this is a two stage timing i'm going to explain it how it is looking at motor but it's worded in the book as if you were in the drivers seat

looking at motor RHS once you have everything aligned you might find that the intermediate secondary drive sprockets may not align this doesn't matter as long as the cams are set with the crank rotate till all timing marks match to stage one timing looking at crank stage one is right side of crank right side of oil pump there is a circle on the oil pump right side between the lowest oil pump bolt and the right side oil pump chain guide once you have that set now the fun part technically you should be using the so called special tools to lock the cams in place but this can be done with out them provided you watch what you are doing i'm gonna explain without the cam lock

once you have the stage one timing set remove the left hand adjuster now pay attention once the tensioner comes out there maybe a slight movement of the left cams more so the outer exhaust cam may move a tooth back make a note of this now you can remove the guides if you are replacing them once done primary chain this wont move when you remove the tensioner
remove chain and guides if guides are being replaced last but not least right side chain as with the left once you remove the tensioner both cams will kick back by atleast one to two teeth take note before taking chains off how many teeth

follow as per install of chains the instructions i'm going to supply uses the special tools but if you know what you are doing as stated it can be done without them or it can be done with the use of stage one lock if you don't have the pair of special tools

after you have timing chains etc etc installed crank motor clockwise by hand to make sure you have everything right and the pistons aren't going to slam into the valves reinstall all parts taken off happy motoring without chain noise

i'm trying to upload timing chain info

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
you need cam locking tools