Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain stretching ( Article ) For those who may be interested ....

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Just a little didly on timing chains ....

LY7 V6 engine: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the LE0, LY7 and LW2 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear.

ForestVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exp 3.6 05
in time..

Many thanks MattK.

The preventive strategy for maintaining my VZ 05 LY7, I perform with my own hands.
My Omega CD reaches this month to 240,000 kilometers mark on the odometer.
The coverage of timing chains, never been opened in this engine.
Fortunately, I believe that this will not become necessary as soon ...

Unfortunately, here, the technicians do not get excited too, when we take our "Omega CD" in the workshops (licensed by General Motors Brazil).

In this context, the article that you bring to attention is very interesting.

Thank you and be well.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

LY7 V6 engine: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the LE0, LY7 and LW2 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear.

Probably easy answer for some but not for this old bloke, can you help me out here please.
According to my rego receipt, my 2007 VZ Wagon engine number starts with LEO but is in the number range.
Am I safe or not.

edit.. Just checked the number on the car and it starts with HO and is inside the range around the middle, so looks like I might have one of the dodgy ones.
No sign of problems as yet, car has done 165,000 k's.

Last edited:

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Timing chain stretch ,,,

Look , I think a lot of it has to do with how you drive ...
The more strain you put on the engine , the faster it will wear ...
Also the maintenance schedule .. ( How often you change your engine oil )

My VZ is getting close to 150,000 ... But I drive relatively gently .. And knowing that timing chain stretch is a known issue , I try to keep the RPM down , in no way am I a redliner !
I will leave the revving to those with money !
And I know that that if I rev the motor out , I get that feeling of gitty up , but I just try and avoid that ..
Some people need to change / replace the timing chains @ 100,000 km , but I dare say that the engine has probably spent too much time on the other side of 3000RPM ...

From the limited research I have done , 100,000 to 140,000 seems to be where people need to change the timing chains , but again I think that is very much related to how hard you drive ( rev out the engine ) and your maintenance ... ( oil changes )
So unfortunately to many variables to really put a finger on it ...

Not sure if the type of oil you use has influence ?
So many people go for the lighter oils , less power loss , rev out engines better ( bla bla ) ...
So possibly a heavier more sticky oil might be the go ... ( ? )

Again too many variables ...

As for the issue of faulty or not to spec chains .. This should occur early in the engines life .. + I can't say that every car built 06 to 07 will have a faulty timing chain ...
You could be lucky , and have good chains ...
But even good chains stretch over time , and the variable being how the engine is treated ( gently or hard )

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
my car is rattleing but imm waiting for the dredded pooo8 code lol

Jason123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore aclaim
My car is plated 04 2005 is that outside the range?

juggernaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My car is plated 04 2005 is that outside the range?

It is out side the range MattK put in his post

Mines 2005 and doesn't have the slightest rattle, but it pays to be vigilant