Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
@Camo H
Did you get it sorted out ?

Sorry for the late post,
The timing chain replacement was completed, and it went well, my honest opinion is, very easy job, just time consuming to do it right, especially to clean everything down when removed.
The secret is the Cam/Timing Tools as per image above, as mentioned in another thread, the chain on the exhaust cam on bank 2 was stretched that much, it was almost 1/2 a tooth out, so to make sure the Cams were in time, I fitted the cam tools I had purchased and had to use a spanner to jiggle the cam a bit so the cam tool would fit, that’s when I noticed how much it was out, and how much the chain had stretched, as soon as you fit the cam tools, the Crank should be lined up with the left timing mark on the oil pump,
Keeping in mind, the marked chain links will not line up with the cam sprocket marks, since the crank/cam has been rotated a number of times.
But, the Cam Link mars will be in there correct position to install the new chains.
However, if you use the Cam Tools, it makes the timing chain replacement a lot easier, and less stressful, and garentee’s everything is in timing, so you don’t need to pull it down again.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
To jump 2 teeth, its not aligned correctly,
otherwise there is a serious issue, one of the tension/guides damaged ?
tensioner i bet thats what happend to me wore out

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
@Camo H
Did you get it sorted out ?

Sorry for the late post,
The timing chain replacement was completed, and it went well, my honest opinion is, very easy job, just time consuming to do it right, especially to clean everything down when removed.
The secret is the Cam/Timing Tools as per image above, as mentioned in another thread, the chain on the exhaust cam on bank 2 was stretched that much, it was almost 1/2 a tooth out, so to make sure the Cams were in time, I fitted the cam tools I had purchased and had to use a spanner to jiggle the cam a bit so the cam tool would fit, that’s when I noticed how much it was out, and how much the chain had stretched, as soon as you fit the cam tools, the Crank should be lined up with the left timing mark on the oil pump,
Keeping in mind, the marked chain links will not line up with the cam sprocket marks, since the crank/cam has been rotated a number of times.
But, the Cam Link mars will be in there correct position to install the new chains.
However, if you use the Cam Tools, it makes the timing chain replacement a lot easier, and less stressful, and garentee’s everything is in timing, so you don’t need to pull it down again.
yep i done mine not a real hard job just have to read the instuctions

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
hello every one i am in the middle of the timing chain in my vz the cams and crank are out of sync there is no damage done to the pistons or valves i have done a ton or research on how to go about putting them back in sync every thing i have found is just about replacing the timing chain i am wondering if anyone would know the way putting them back in sync or know where to look to put them back in sync
When your looking on YouTube your better off looking for “timing chain replacement for HFV6“ or high feature V6. That will pull in the American videos.

We here in Australia are a pretty useless bunch at making instructional YouTube videos you will normally find a lot better videos and explanations on American YouTube videos.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
easy look it up need cam tools , spanner to turn cams ect

Timing tools were the best investment I purchased (as per previous post)
(I purchased the both sets for VZ and VE, just in case I wish to do it as a side line) ;)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Timing tools were the best investment I purchased (as per previous post)
(I purchased the both sets for VZ and VE, just in case I wish to do it as a side line) ;)
Hi krusing.
Are the cam lock tools different for vz & ve?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Lex

They are virtually the same,

The VZ Kit have 2 Cam Tools,

Where the VZ, VE & VF Kit have 3 Cam Tools and will do the 3 models,
I am assuming they will also do LFX.

I have attached better images of the front of the case's.

Attachments

• VZ Cam Tools.jpg
    VZ Cam Tools.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 64
  • VZ, VE & VF Cam Tools.jpg
    VZ, VE & VF Cam Tools.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
easy look it up need cam tools , spanner to turn cams ect

19mm Open End Spanner to jiggle the cams into place the install the Cam Aligning Tools,
And making sure the Crank Sprocket is lined up correctly at the "stage 2" timing mark.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride