Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chains replacement VE 2006

Michaelmach

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE 60th Anniversary 2009 V6 auto
Hello can anyone tell me at what mileage I should be looking at changing the timing chains on my 2006 v6 Commodore.
Car recently purchased and with out history ,showing 168,000 klms.
Fault code light was on and dealer said it was timing chain/ tensioners needing replacement but light subsequently went out during transportation to Queensland.
Bought sight unseen.
I understand its quite a job, I'll be using an external workshop to do the work.
Parts from Repco okay?
Any advice about any preventative servicing for this car would be appreciated.

thanks Michael.

vee-y

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore sedan
if your buying the kit youself look at mace or revhigh, they are hundreds cheaper then repco.

keep in mind if anything goes wrong fair chance the workshop wont own any responcability as you supplied the parts, as is common practice.

stay away from ebay kits price can be tempting but the quality just isnt there, revhigh qoute 999 for kit and labour but i cant see a local workshop matching that price

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends how much you want to spend. If light has gone and still driving well they might not need changing. But, if you do change them consider pulling the sump off as well if there are any signs of sludge inside the engine.
And change the power steering fluid just for good measure while you are spending money.

Michaelmach

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE 60th Anniversary 2009 V6 auto
thanks very much Greenacc and Vee-y for your ideas, much appreciated.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If the engine light has disappeared, it's not likely chain-related. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts throwing definite fault codes relating to chains.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Keep driving it and watch it very carefully.
Listen very carefully for any untoward noises.
Do check all the fluids under the bonnet weekly or even more often.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
as gossie said, regularly checks and maint. could be as simple as a low battery, or a glitch

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, as already mentioned, check code history and assess the situation. Then drive and monitor closely for odd noises, codes, etc... At least as a first step.

But as a matter of prudence I‘d also recommend going a full service on the car given it’s unknown history. Flush and replace all fluids. Then do the drive, monitor, assess thing... No doubt a few things may pop up but if the engine internals are clean, you may have dodged a bullet and save a grand or so on doing cam chains. Maybe..