Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Chains the Same

RedRhino

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Series II - SIDI - LLT
I have a 2010 VE Series II with SIDI engine LLT. I have just purchased a new timing chain kit off ebay as I need to do the change. (I think around 260,000 on the clock) Check engine light and P0008 and P0017 are the codes its throwing. Anyway, I have purchased the new kit only to find the seller had another listing that had my engine number and the SIDI description where the one I purchased simply said:
For Holden Commodore Timing Chain Kit +Gears VZ VE VF Alloytec LY7 3.6L V6 06-ON
and the one I'm now questioning says:
For Holden Timing Chain Kit Commodore VE VF V6 SIDI LF1 LFW LLT LFX 3.0L 3.6L
I am wanting to know if these chain kits are different or if the one I have purchased will still fit (Are they the same)
The seller on ebay is not very helpful or informative.
Thanks guys

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have just purchased a new timing chain kit off ebay
The seller on ebay is not very helpful or informative.
Link to the kit you bought? There's a lot of garbage on ebay, most of which I wouldn't be chancing the build quality of something as important as a timing chain on - if the seller doesn't know this isn't promising.

There are a couple of different styles of chains. A company like RevHigh will be able to sell you the correct one based on the build date of the car.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this statement is on mace engineering web site, vz ve vf alloytec timing chain kits
There may be a discrepancy for vehicles built on dates that borderline the change-over of the design of the timing chain. We cannot guarantee what kit you require if this applies to your vehicle. You can confirm by removing one of the cam covers and inspecting the chains that run over the cam gears.
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/mace.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/TC602-G

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was reading some detail on this last night. Don’t recall where but it would explain the statement from MACE in the most detailed way I’ve seen written.

I’ll try find it again.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Buy something else. Go to RevHigh and buy one of their cheaper kits, they're proven and use quality parts. Timing chains are something you don't cheap out on, that listing looks very similar to a lot of sellers that sell 'maxspeedingrods' parts which are absolute trash. Chains and their associated guides and parts are parts that have the ability to destroy engines if they fail. Have a watch of this:

this statement is on mace engineering web site, vz ve vf alloytec timing chain kits
The big problem is timing chain pictures (or many store pictures for any part really) on ebay are usually pretty generic (they use the same one for every listing) and not accurate to that detail, and doing exchange with ebay sellers (if their parts are any good) can be a pain, particularly if they're not going to go and look at the product for you or know what it's applicable to

The difference between chains is basically one looks like a bike chain, and the other looks like lots of think sheet metal links stacked on top of each other with a different way of interacting with the gear teeth:
Bike chain looking one - ignore it being double row, the Alloytec ones of this style will be single but it was the best pic I could find:
chain-wear2-inline.jpg

Stacked/"quiet" style:
chain-wear1-inline.jpg

Last edited: