Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chains

Thunderbolt..1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6 commodore wagon
Never ever will I buy a commodore again..ive owned every can think of..the timing chain issue with ve is horrendous..Just finally got someone to do it..too labour intensive..supplied timing chain kit..its faulty..so its gotta be done over again at the crazy price of $860 just for kit and $1500 labour on top... these cars are a bloody nightmare..Avoid em at all costs..Ive searched for ages to get someone to do it with rippoff dealers charging 3 to 4 grand

p00pyVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Supercharged Methonal Injected
Revhigh in Victoria Fit them at $999 + 50 for fluids i think, Drive away.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
I'm about to buy a kit for my new motor in my racecar 250 delivered was the cheapest kit I could find lol

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Revhigh in Victoria Fit them at $999 + 50 for fluids i think, Drive away.

Don’t know how they do that, the full kit alone costs more than that.

Probably some eBay Oem parts...

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Never ever will I buy a commodore again..ive owned every can think of..the timing chain issue with ve is horrendous..Just finally got someone to do it..too labour intensive..supplied timing chain kit..its faulty..so its gotta be done over again at the crazy price of $860 just for kit and $1500 labour on top... these cars are a bloody nightmare..Avoid em at all costs..Ive searched for ages to get someone to do it with rippoff dealers charging 3 to 4 grand

I know how you feel, but once you get the chains done, you have a nice car you can pretty much diy service for the next 50k. A proper kit all installed can be done for well under 2k.

Try owning a Jeep with 10k workshop service intervals...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Don’t know how they do that, the full kit alone costs more than that.

Probably some eBay Oem parts...
They aren't doing the job properly. There is chains then there is the full kit which includes the idlers.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
mace engineering also sell them too ,they have sold kits and oil pumps to some members

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
..the timing chain issue with ve is horrendous..Just finally got someone to do it..too labour intensive..supplied timing chain kit..its faulty..so its gotta be done over..
When you say “its faulty”, what do you mean? Are you saying the parts you supplied are faulty or the workmanship to install was not up to standard?

If parts were faulty, the supplier should foot the bill (including your consequential damage - the labour). If workmanship was sub standard the workshop should foot the bill (including consequential damage to the parts you supplied). What discussions have you had with both groups (who will no doubt point the finger at each other)?

Australian Consumer Law covers such issues but either way, if it ends up in a tribunal hearing you have to prove what went wrong (which can be difficult and/or expensive). Might be worth callin* Fair Trading and getting some advice.

As for timing chain stretch, this was a known issue and in many instances Holden was footing the bill (though I can’t remember which model/year). Seperate to that, poor maintenance also caused problems with timing chains and associated bits. In hindsight, it may have been easier to use ACL and knowledge of the problem to bring Holden to heal and get them to fix the issue for you. But you are where you are.