Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Cover Leaking - Approx $1,040 to repair

besso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hello

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read.

Appreciate any advice as to after a general service at the local Holden dealership. On the service report it states “Urgent – timing cover leaking and coolant staining around water pump and hose outlet seals – approx. $1,040”

Is this a reasonable price ? is there someone in Adelaide that I should take it to rather than a dealership and is it as urgent as they say ? as I cant see much staining

Thanks again for any help

Much appreciated David

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Timing cover leaks are common and the main cost is labour as everything has to be stripped from the front of the engine to get the cover off, as well as the intake manifold and rocker covers, then refitted after the cover is resealed.

The coolant stains may be from the spout above the water pump, the spout seals are replaced as part of the cover reseal job so if you arent losing coolant dont worry about doing the pump. It is simple to do at a later date on its own.

Added costs are an oil change as coolant ends up in the sump when you remove the cover, its pretty much unavoidable as even after draining the coolant is still sits in and around the cover. Add to this rocker cover gaskets, spout seals, timing cover sealant etc.

As for whether the price is fair, ring around and get a few quotes.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Had the job done here by an aftermarket mech, 1 rocker cover gasket (right side), intake plenum gasket, oil change (because of the coolant spillage), Labour...

Total invoice $550

$1040?? Pfffttt!!!

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Rocker covers gaskets are very dear lol.Just remember the timing chains stretch on the VE's and the Captivas.

GRIZZLY1313

Reaction score
i have a 2010 sv6 sidi and i had 1 month manufactures warranty left so i got my car checked out and it had this problem and the drivers seat had fallen apart and was destroyed, both jobs were done the next day after the inspection for no cost, so i would recommend getting your car checked out before the warranty ends.

besso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Just wanted to say thanks very much for all of you to take the time to post comments.

Really appreciate your efforts

Red sting vy ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss 5,7 ls1
Any one no a good mechanic for timing chain leak and could be sump aswell for vy ss 5.7 v8 ls1 to replace gasket and front seal looking to spend 650 to 800 max