Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing & Gears. = Blue 202

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey All

A question in timing, is it possible to use those plastic deg markers for timing? *the half circle* I did a tune up today and i noticed shes out by 1 deg and i dont wanna go to far fwd :p

Max rpm for an auto tri box on a blue 202 ?

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
dunno about the timing..but (when I was younger) and had brought my 1st auto (202 + trimatic) the car maxed out at 120 kph in '2'.... then my mate told me to stick it in 'D', so clicked up the lever to push it forward and went into reverse.....scary

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I'm talking abut timing with the dizzy, if i was to use the deg thing.

What was ur rpm at 120?

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
yeah you can use them but I dn't know the proper degrees.. and i was red lining at 120 ... it just wouldn't go any faster

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Not sure about the degree scale plastic thing. If it looks ok and you want to use it then why not.
I have seen some fancy harmonic balancers that have nice laser cut scales in them too.

As for rpm range, my car goes up to about 8000 I think. Yours would be about the same. You don't want to redline it. I don't think I have gone over 4500 rpm in my car. It's unimportant.

As for adjusting the timing, what did you do it again for? I thought you did it a while back. If it's a degree out, why don't you set it properly?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I just touched the dizzy abit this time, i did it for pickup from 0 - 60 it was a bit slow, now it has improved and in the long run 80k + i save on fuel usage.

The ignition sounds better. :thumbsup:

I noticed on idle in N its a a bit blow its right mark 900rpm so its a bit off.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Can you improve on kw? with timing? with advance and retard?

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
you sure can, if your engine is running retarded to what it can handle then you will loose out on power and economy.

effectively what you are doing when you advance it is to ignite the air/fuel mixture sooner in the cycle which means it has a head start and so it starts burning as the piston is still coming up, what this means is that theres a better burn and hense more amount of energy to push the piston down with, hense better power and as a result of a better burn of the air/fuel you get better economy.

better bang for your buck so to speak :)

the other thing to remember is that if you go too far with advance you will eventually get pinging which can be bad or worse for long periods of time.

the limit for each engine will depend on its compression ratio and the octane rating of the fuel you are using.

for example, my blue 202 has 9.4 to 1 compression ratio, on 95 octane fuel (premium unleaded) it seems happy on +4 degrees advance, however if i put 98 octane fuel in it i am able to advance it to about +8-9 degrees, this gives a noticable increase in power and probably better economy, however you have to weigh up the price of fuel hense why i set it to +4 as the missus refuses to put 98 in it (i don't blame her)

advancing/retarding the timing will also change the idle rpm, so if you adjust it enough you may need to change the idle stop to lower/increase idle speed as required.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
As for rpm range, my car goes up to about 8000 I think. Yours would be about the same.

8000rpm on a standard holden 6? I don't think so :p

My 173 5spd has hit 5200rpm when I changed from 3rd back to second to slow down from going pretty qwik (it was a crap motor as well). And the wagon got to about 5200rpm just reving it in neutral. I was told they barely go over 5000rpm, so 8000rpm out of a stock 202 I think is impossible.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Ok, wrong on that point champ. :) I didn't know for sure because my bros VK 202 has that shitty economy guage thing. :)