Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing on a Black 202

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys,

Can anyone please give an idea on how to adjust ignition timing on black 202 in a VK.
I have a timing light but I don't know what to do and I don't understand when people talk about x amount of degrees etc.

So, can anyone give me an idea on how this is done.
Thanks

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Make sure your spark plugs are all firing and warm up the car and connect the timing light to spark plug one lead. Point the gun to where the timing scale is on your harmonic balancer. The timing for a 202 black, it is 6 degrees BTC at 850 RPM. Unbolt the distributor bolt and slightly rotate the distributor and bolt back up and check again if it's out. You shouldn't need to check it anyway if it's running fine. It will likely be spot on.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The spark timing on a 6cyl est computer car cannot be adjusted...its set and no amount of moving of the distributor will advance or retard the timing...all it will do if you turn it a lot is stop the engine because it pushes the firing on to the next cylinder on the distributor cap.
The fuel injected 6cyl vk cars used a vh type distributor so they can be adjusted but a normal carburetor type 6 cyl car cannot on a vk

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I forgot to add that the EST module failed a while ago and a blue motor dizzy and other stuff has been put in.
I know my timing is out because it was played with a few months ago and it hasn't been properly adjusted.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I forgot about EST.

In that case 85berlina, do what I said. Make sure the timing mark is pointing at 6 degrees BTC and have your car running at 850 RPM, warmed up and all plugs firing.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Thanks Slim.
I'll be doing that very soon.