Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] timing problem i think

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
ok i have a bit of a problem with my 253 when i line up the timing mark it is slugish and then if i advancew the crap out of it its got power can the bottom pully slip and put the timing marks out of whack and what fuel consumption are people getting out of there 253s i used 1/4 or a tank to 37 km shocking

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its a rubber bonded one yes they go way out best bet is too find top dead centre with a bolt down the plug hole turn crank till piston touched bolt mark pully turn crank back the other way till it touches then mark again mark in the middle of the 2 and you now have TDC

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i used 1/4 or a tank to 37 km shocking

stock build? i used to have a 253 in a HJ and she got a lot more than that.

how many litres is 1/4 tank? 17? (68litre tank/4) so working on 10KM's per litre (modern cars) you should get 170kms for 1/4... so older cars say-ish 5 km per litre is 85kms

in fact i think my 5 litre does better than that :S i get 250 per tank /4 = 62.5

spark plugs and dizzy ok? no fuel leaks? retarding timing helps fuel economy but loses power and runs hotter. vacuum advance also saves fuel in a way i am yet to figue out.