Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing stuff help please

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
hey people im back my timing is up the **** and i need serious help ive got my car timed to top dead but i dont know where the leads at the dizzy are supposed to be and where the rotor button suppose to be positioned for top dead the engine is a 253 v8 i need this help asap people thanks

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
the rotor button has to be pointing to number 1 spark plug do you have a repair manual to get the fireing number

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
yeh but i think dizzy timings out

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
You dont fire the spark at TDC, Im not sure of the exact specifications for your model commodore but the spark needs to be fired at 8-12 degrees BEFORE TDC due to "flame front propogation" which basically means that all the fuel doesnt ignite instantly.

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
also the rotor arm should be positioned so when u give it the slightest tap, the contact breaker points spark. I timed my mates VK thursday and i runs beatifully

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
its not hard to do at all

u just need to know the firing order of your engine(manual or google it) and when the spark fires on your model(my guess is 10 degrees before TDC), position the rotor arm on piston lead #1(slightest tap makes spark), put the dizzy cap on and plug in the piston leads accordingly

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
yeh man ive done all that i need to know where the rotor button is suppose to be any pics would help

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
rotor button should be facing #1 plug 1 plug is drivers side at the front post how this went

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
hey man if you have pictures it would help and wat you at the front post get back to me asap thanks