Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinny Ass Exhaust?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Holden VE SV6 Alloytec

So was changing around mufflers all weekend, and we thought to go for a quick drive without mufflers :D Like a BOSS!
Anyways, upon doing so, we noticed when you floor it, it sounds Tinny asf. Like BAD :/ I thought it was previously just my Xforce mufflers, but turns out its something else?

Anything that could be doing this? a whole in the exhaust or something?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
God has judged all V6's as "Tinny".

What did you expect?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
lol. i know what your saying, but this is really bad, its almost like a Honda flooring it with just a fart can. (Standard SV6 exhaust is support to sound like this under load)

I thought it was the xforce muffler, but without mufflers its doing the same, Can a hole do this? or **** resonators? Im starting to wonder if my exhuast system is even stock now. tried finding some pictures online, but cant.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The front section of the exhaust is straight through, so it will sound tinny without rear mufflers. The XForce rear mufflers are **** anyway, so the exhaust will sound tinny with them on.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
You reckon a 6 banger without mufflers sounds good? Wow, are you deaf? It sounds like absolute ****!! The best exhaust for an Alloytec is either stock or V8 twin tips.

? Are u talking to some1 else? I dont recall saying it sounds good . The start up idle dough did turn heads in our neighbourhood :). Nah i would never drive it like that, i just wanted to try tackle where the tinny ness comes from. Cause i thought it was originally the xforce, but it still make the "taaaang" noise at hi revs without any mufflers.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Am I missing something here?

It sounds tinny because you have no mufflers on!

Im most likely using the wrong word to explain. Lets just say, when i floor it straight to hi revs on the daily Honda, which is stock standard, sounds better then this. Even with the SS mufflers on, it gave a mild "tinny , taaannng noise" ahhh this is hard to explaind

Looks like i need to investigate the exhaust more, maybe there are more addons that were added that i dont know of from previous owner

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
90% of an exhaust's note comes from rear mufflers. No point in driving around "like a boss" with no rear mufflers on to somehow compare.
You want a different exhaust note, keep trying different rear mufflers. There's most likely nothing wrong with what you have on there, but if concerned take it to an exhaust shop and get them to check for cracks/holes AND SHOW YOU (in case they are just shopping for your business).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A decent exhaust system is frequency matched between the front and rear sections. Mismatching components will rarely sound good. The stock front section is matched to the stock rear mufflers, changing to a different rear muffler will change the sound because it changes the way the sound waves behave. Keeping the sound waves consistent or jumping over a certain frequency when moving through the system will result in a better overall note.

My suggestion is to change the whole cat back. You will spend a lot of time with a lot of different rear sections to get it to sound good.