Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinny's ute - Pic heavy, so only for anyone interested.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
That looks awesome, pity i don't have the patience to go to that sort of trouble cause that really looks good.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
awesome photos haha nice get ur sister do do it

Yeah, she's coming along alright with her camera skills - still heaps to learn, but she'll get there. She'll be investing in a new DSLR soon, so will have the ability to play with different filters and have more control over exposure, aperture, etc. The camera she's using now is very good for what is essentially a point and shoot jobbie on steroids, but she'll have much more control when she picks up the new one. Heading out again, hopefully monday for some better shots - not in the rain - so it's worth pulling the tripod out - should get some nice, long exposure shots. Will put them up when it happens. Will also put another layer of wax on, which will wet the finish up just a little bit more.

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Looks better than new! Quick question, what brands of products did you use ? Im the same as you i find it therapeutic cleaning and detailing my ute.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
WOW i wish my vx was this shiney

haha - thanks mate

Looks better than new! Quick question, what brands of products did you use ? Im the same as you i find it therapeutic cleaning and detailing my ute.

I change products almost as often as I change my socks! It's rare that I get to test the durability of a product. I'm constantly trying out different combinations - some things look sensational in some lights but not so flash in others - it's all just trial and error. But in the end, the finish is only as good as the prep. A car will never be as clear and glossy, nor have the depth of colour it could have if the paint is marred with swirls, spider webs, etc. Mine needs a correction (which I'll do when I get time!) but I'm pretty happy with where it's at right now, considering. I haven't tried the pinnacle waxes out on it yet, so that will probably be my next course of action. Signature or Souveran - undecided. I normally use a sealant under a wax for durability - but since that's not really an issue for me, I'll just use a wax for protection next time. That will let me use an oily glaze underneath which should add some serious depth to the finish. In the pics, it's wearing Natty's blue paste wax as a topper - 3 layers there - another layer going on this weekend. But the wax has also been covered with FK425 which I thought I'd try out and I'm massively impressed. For a QD it adds a remarkable amount of gloss to the finish, without losing any of the depth of the wax. The glaze is Black Hole which is sealant friendly - so doesn't have the same wetness as your more traditional glazes but does a pretty good job in leveling out the surface when you don't have time (or the energy) for a proper correction. It also has 2 layers of a clear, pure sealant - but for this colour (and regime) it's probably not necessary. Prior to this it's had predominantly sealants - duragloss, zaino, jetseal, DGS - but I'm leaning now towards waxes - even though it's a relatively light colour, the depth that a wax seems to add really warms up the look and lets some of the gold base-coat show in full sun. I was a little concerned that the flake might be muted a little (especially with tinted waxes) but so far, it's actually amplifying the contrast.

I'm aiming to get some more shots taken on Monday - and hopefully in full sun, so the difference in depth and richness should really be apparent then.