Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinted light/ Night shade

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey guys,

I've heard alot about them and due to search alot of people have different opinions on how many "coats" and what products to use.

I know you could get something called "nightshade" (correct me if i'm wrong) from Repco, do you need anything else with it?

What's ideal aswell? I want something to make them darker but so you can definitely still see the lights and not dark enough to cause trouble. I heard 2 coats are ideal but more opinions = the better

Also, do you take them out or do you just put newspaper all over around the area you might hit?

As not having any experience with spray painting, is it a simple side to side spray from the can?

Maybe even just this dark or a slight bit more/less: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9601/18022009103zj2.jpg (sorced from another thread in goooooooogle)

Thanks guys,

guys-vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 vr commodore 5ltr V8
yeh the product i used is called nite shade and i used 3 light coats if you spray to thick at once it will run
i left the lights on the car and just news papered up the whole back of the car incase of over spray and with each coat i changed direction
side to side first then top to bottom then back to side to side
and with three light coats it gave it a slight darked apperance and the lights still shine threw perfectly

the trick is between sprays give it like 5 to 10 minutes to darken then you can decide wether or not to keep going with more coats

hope this helps dude..

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
By light, generally, yeah, moving at a speed not slow, but not too fast either. And staying the correct distance away from the job with the spraycan. If you have had little to no experience with spray painting, then I strongly suggest buying a couple of cans of cheap spraypaint such as EXPORT and practicing on something first or you WILL get runs! Whatever you practice on will need to be non porous, such as a sheet of tin/plastic or the like.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Go for very light coats as the others have said, 1st coat should only slightly tint the light, and it will appear very dotty, but it gets a little less noticeable with each coat. Better to move fast than slow. Fast will simply get hardly any nightshade on there, while too slow will get too much , which equals drips/runs. Main thing is to keep the speed constant to keep coverage as even as possible.

Or you could give stockings a go, get some black stocking and cover the light lens with that, looks pretty close to a mildly nightshaded light. Very unlikely the cops will hassle you with those, as stockings being very porous, let pretty much 100% light through.

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
I did mine mate and to be honest i think i did it a bit to dark... by memory i did three coats.. and i wouldnt of called them light coats either.. but like you i had absolutely no experience with spray paint...

you can see all my lights perfectly at night time.. tail lights, brake lights, indicators and reverse lights.. and during the day.. you can see the breaklights.. but it does depend on the angle of sunlight etc on how well you can see them.

hope this helps a little :) i personally dont regret it even though its too dark but everybody is different and deals with the risks differently.. good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,598
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 3,537

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
I did mine mate and to be honest i think i did it a bit to dark... by memory i did three coats.. and i wouldnt of called them light coats either.. but like you i had absolutely no experience with spray paint...

you can see all my lights perfectly at night time.. tail lights, brake lights, indicators and reverse lights.. and during the day.. you can see the breaklights.. but it does depend on the angle of sunlight etc on how well you can see them.

hope this helps a little :) i personally dont regret it even though its too dark but everybody is different and deals with the risks differently.. good luck!

Far out mate that is way too dark LOL I tint sprayed my last car (VS) but did a unique stripe pattern on them to make them look different, personally i thought it looked damn mean and also very legal :)

p2704100852.jpg

p2704100851.jpg

p260410222302.jpg

p2604102119.jpg

Due to my camera flash the night pictures tinted section has come up lighter, used to be a bit more solid at night. Anywho that's my experience and that was 3 coats :)

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6

You might aswell have got a matt black spray can and just done it in that LOL, anyways i don't wanna be a party pooper but you do know there are legality issues regarding this? And if you get hit up the bum you run the risk of not getting insurance. But that vy you posted as a referance shouldn't cause to much of a fuss. BUt they will try everything to get out of paying you insurance or repairing your car etc

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
You might aswell have got a matt black spray can and just done it in that LOL, anyways i don't wanna be a party pooper but you do know there are legality issues regarding this? And if you get hit up the bum you run the risk of not getting insurance. But that vy you posted as a referance shouldn't cause to much of a fuss. BUt they will try everything to get out of paying you insurance or repairing your car etc

Haha true about the matt black paint. yehh i am aware of the legality and insurance issues but thanks for warning me anyway. By the way that VS's lights look really good!