Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting tail lights

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
this is my old vp. I used night shade spray. I only did 4 coats:whistling but the light isnt effected at all during the day or night:thumbsup:

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
but the light isnt effected at all during the day or night:thumbsup:

how did you come to that conclusion?
In normal sunlight: Tinting reduces the light entering and leaving the lens, hence they appear darker, its as simple as that. The light emitted from the globes and reflector within the lens will also be reduced, the tint doesnt have any sophisticated properties which stop it from doing this.

Whether it keeps it within the adr requirements for colour and intensity will obviously depend on how much tint, constable plod obviously wont be equipped with a light meter to run the adr test(so you will be at the mercy of his discretion), however, if your car is involved in a costly or fatal incident such measures may be taken

. Possibly this could be counteracted by more powerful globes, whether that fixes the colour, dont know.

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
how did you come to that conclusion?
In normal sunlight: Tinting reduces the light entering and leaving the lens, hence they appear darker, its as simple as that. The light emitted from the globes and reflector within the lens will also be reduced, the tint doesnt have any sophisticated properties which stop it from doing this.

Whether it keeps it within the adr requirements for colour and intensity will obviously depend on how much tint, constable plod obviously wont be equipped with a light meter to run the adr test(so you will be at the mercy of his discretion), however, if your car is involved in a costly or fatal incident such measures may be taken

. Possibly this could be counteracted by more powerful globes, whether that fixes the colour, dont know.

If i can find the pic of wen i did 1 tail light and not the other i will show u that the brightness of the 2 tail lights r the same
it took me a couple of days 2 do it i let every coat have plenty of drying time

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
if someone slams into your arse ur insurance may be void coz they can say they didnt see you break lights due to the tinting

+1 on this point, I would never risk it (and lol at this threads date)

5ivespeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Manual
i bought taillight tinting paint from super cheap for $20. pulled the taillights out and did it pretty dark. but once i put em back in u can still see brake lights in the day and i never got in trouble.

Coxy_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS
if someone slams into your arse ur insurance may be void coz they can say they didnt see you break lights due to the tinting

+1 on this point, I would never risk it (and lol at this threads date)

Ive had my lights tinted for about 3 or so years and never had any attention from the police. About 2 years ago i got hit when stopped at the lights and was pushed into another car. no one questioned my tail lights when my car was being looked at by the insurance company, assesors didnt say anything and neither did the repair shop, and the lady who hit me paid for everything through her insurance.

Do you actually know of anyone that has had their insurance claim rejected because of tinted tail lights? i dont, and i think if someone tried they would get shot down pretty quick as their is another brake light on the rear parcel shelf, and at perfect normal eye height for most people. unless that is tinted aswell or isnt working due to poor vehincle maintainance, i dont see how someone could succesfully make the "i didnt see them brake" claim...

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Insurance companies don't want to have to give out money, believe it or not they're in it to make money - they have people that investigate accidents and try to find ways to get out of paying up. In your instance you were lucky, there're many stories of people who've had their claims rejected for not declaring modifications they've decided to do to their cars..

I imagine most insurance policies on road registered vehicles are under the pretense that the car is roadworthy, those tail lights aren't roadworthy despite nobody noticing or caring, in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

Then again I think they look funny, more so when the side indicators are done too... are you people trying to block the sun for the little people that live in there?

Read the second half of this thread after insurance is mentioned: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/93648-cant-put-rims-crewman.html

Last edited:

Coxy_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS
I had a look at the link, interesting read, but again, its filled with hearsay, maybes and possibly outcomes. The only real actually story was from nicko, his car was too low, too loud, had tint on the front windscreen and had quite a bit of damage, they agreed to fix it almost without hesitating.

all i was tryin to say in my post was that i havent actually heard of anyone gettin knocked back from repairs for tinted lights, espicially in a not at fault accident, and i know a few people who have them, just the other week my mate got t-boned in his vt, not too much damage but the whole of one side of his car had to get resprayed because of damage, scratches and colour blending. his tail lights are darker than mine and they said nothing...

It may be a different case if you had tinted lights (or any unroadworthy and possibly dangerous modification) and you caused an accident, because as you say, they gotta make money somehow, insurance companies dont like just giving out money and pay outs willy nilly...

i dunno...maybe there has been a bit of luck involved, but it seems that people get away with more stuff they shouldnt, than people getting pinged for whatever reason..

and as for the tinted side indicators..guilty also haha you do have to think about the little indicator man living inside haha but i mainly did it to blend in with the dark car colour, tail lights and the orange stuck out like...well...you know what. I did have clear ones on, they looked nice, but i gave up as they kept getting stolen.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Fair enough, I have nothing against people that do it, just wouldn't do it myself for fear (imagine if they wanted to make an example of you) and my opinion on them... a P plater driving a VS with tinted tail lights would look a bit suspicious to the police.

After all this I think my tail lights are slightly tinted LOL, they're the clear smoked ones

Attachments

• 08122008314.jpg
    08122008314.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 5,785

Coxy_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS
That is true about the P plater with tinted lights, add to that rims on the front and stockies on the back which is what all the "cool kids" are doing these days and youve got definate unwanted attention. I had tinted lights for about a yr on my P's, but ill chalk that up to luck i think, the same luck thats also meant ive only been pulled up randomly by the police once in five years...standard random bretho, check rego blah blah...i just hope that luck continues! altho i dont do anything do draw unwanted attention to myself in most cases.

Nice clean car mate, always good to see a neat VS! those are the tail lights you can gte on ebay arent they? you havent done anything to them right. They do look smokey/tinted tho, suit the car well...