Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting tail lights

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
Fair enough, I have nothing against people that do it, just wouldn't do it myself for fear (imagine if they wanted to make an example of you) and my opinion on them... a P plater driving a VS with tinted tail lights would look a bit suspicious to the police.

After all this I think my tail lights are slightly tinted LOL, they're the clear smoked ones

i think you'll find your insurance company will be just as harsh on you with these lights as they would with tinted factory ones. Are these ADR compliant? probably not, first obvious thing why i think they wouldnt be is the reflector is not red.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
i was looking at doing this but seems pretty common in WA.

now im thinking bout clear tail lights with led clusters for brakes and indicators

has anyone done this or seen it done on a vs ute?

im a bit hesitant coz it has has ALOT of work done to the engine and a yellow sticker would be fatal.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
how did you come to that conclusion?
In normal sunlight: Tinting reduces the light entering and leaving the lens, hence they appear darker, its as simple as that. The light emitted from the globes and reflector within the lens will also be reduced, the tint doesnt have any sophisticated properties which stop it from doing this.

Depends if u have a glossy clear coat on top or not if u have, the gloss actually does help the light shine through better.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I have added red reflectors to the bumper (not the one pictured) but to be harsh to the same extent I doubt, there's the potential for an honest mistake from an elderly citizen because their eyes aren't good enough to see the subtle difference between pitch black and pitch black with a dab of red causing them to go up your ass versus perfectly bright red light coming out of these tail lights.

As for the LED's don't do it! Well that's my thought anyway, read my review here... most money I ever wasted on lights lol

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
thanks Vs Omega sounds like u got shafted royally

i think i will have a look at some retails stores here in WA for some decent LED's. and ill definitely be looking for ones with a firmer structure now that ive seen ur review.

as for insurance, that wont be an issue seeing as im yet to find an insurance company willing to cover me with all the mods on my ute.

jaysol

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L WM Caprice
Hey Guys,
Does anyone know what is the best clear coat to use on the lights, and where to get it from? Cheers!

1989mitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 ute
Does anyone do this on the inside of the light lens?

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have no idea why people would want to make their brake lights darker to people traveling behind them. There's enough idiots on the road that can't see standard ones. Each to there own i guess.