Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting VT headlights.

LukeTheRev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina, 3.8l, Series II
Hi all, I recently tinted my boot garnish and tail lights and haven't had a problem with the lights not showing, and never been pulled over for it. Was wondering if it's illegal for head lights to be tinted, and if there's a certain darkness I can do it too, cheers.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Illegal, dangerous & stupid. Most people put brighter globes in so they can see better. Not make them darker.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
It is illegal for any light to be obstructed, and this includes tinting. Anything that reduces light output, no matter to what degree, is not permitted for a road worthy vehicle. Most Police will not focus on taillight tinting if it's not too dark. But your car will fail an inspection, and you can be defected for it. You've just been lucky so far.

As for headlights, thats playing with fire. If you want to darken your headlights, search for how to black out the insides like an SS, or buy a set of headlight covers and tint them so they can be removed at night. The latter might still earn you a defect, but at least it's not a permanent change to the lights.