Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips for o2 sensor change.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any tips to make changing the right side o2 sensor on a vy ecotec? Any tips will be appreciated. Gus.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Use the correct tools,
because if you snap it off,
you will be up ship creek.

Hint: spay it with WD40 over night, hopefully it should be easier to remove the old one,
Then when installing the new one, place some anti-sieze on the thread ONLY, not all over it.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All the new O2 sensor I've bought and fitted came supplied with anti-seize already applied to the threads.

I just use a spanner (7/8") and use the ring spanner end but there are special O2 sensor sockets if you are really bothered about getting it out.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any tips to make changing the right side o2 sensor on a vy ecotec? Any tips will be appreciated. Gus.

Are you intending on purchasing a new O2 Sensor,
of one from a Wrecker ? [from a Wrecker would be cheaper], if so, use the anti-seize on the S/Hand ones Thread.

Even Cheaper if you remove it yourself at the Self Serve Wreckers.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I personally wouldn‘t go putting in 2nd hand o2 sensors as they will be old and probably just about done anyhow, as above apply some wd40 the day before and run the car for a bit before you do it to get some heat into the exhaust just let it cool down for bit before you do the job so as not to burn your hands

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
From experience, I have never had an O2 sensor strip when cold, only when warm. Undo it when it's dead cold. Spray it with some sort of penetrating oil, WD40, CRC, doesn't matter. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Use the ring end of a 22mm or 7/8" spanner, disconnect the plug and it fits through the ring. Make sure the nut of the sensor is in the centre of the spanner, get a good grip of the spanner and give it a good hard sharp pull. It should then screw out by hand.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
From experience, I have never had an O2 sensor strip when cold, only when warm. Undo it when it's dead cold. Spray it with some sort of penetrating oil, WD40, CRC, doesn't matter. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Use the ring end of a 22mm or 7/8" spanner, disconnect the plug and it fits through the ring. Make sure the nut of the sensor is in the centre of the spanner, get a good grip of the spanner and give it a good hard sharp pull. It should then screw out by hand.
Awesome thanks.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Just replaced mine had no problem removing them with a 22mm ring spanner, no WD 40 or similar needed, hardest part was getting to the connectors to remove and connect. Hint if your unable to undo it with your hands and arms your foot is the way to go, legs are more stronger just lean back and push in the right direction, drivers side to the back and left towards the front . Also don't buy cheap get a good brand I used the NTK made by NGK.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Just replaced mine had no problem removing them with a 22mm ring spanner, no WD 40 or similar needed, hardest part was getting to the connectors to remove and connect. Hint if your unable to undo it with your hands and arms your foot is the way to go, legs are more stronger just lean back and push in the right direction, drivers side to the back and left towards the front . Also don't buy cheap get a good brand I used the NTK made by NGK.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah i got that brand sensor. Any tips for disconnecting the clip? It looks like a bugger. Gus.