Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips of how to clean VP Engine Bay

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hi there

Im sure someone has posted something similar to this but I couldnt find it in search so here goes..

Ive had my VP wagon for about 4 1/2 years now and when I got it the engine bay was clean as. After this time its got a bit grotty so I wanna clean it up. I used to degrease/high pressure spray the engine bay of my old VC but I've never done it in the VP.

So my question to you all out there is are there any places of the engine bay I should be careful not to spray degreaser/high pressure water on? I used to cover the alternator in the VC so I might to that. Im a bit clueless on this and don't wanna be stuck at the carwash with a dead waterlogged engine so any tips from the experts in JC Land would be much appreciated.

On a totally different note, I'm getting an average of about 9.7l/100km in my VP and it hasn't been professionally serviced in 3 years!! (will be soon) That is both freeway and bumper to bumper. Pretty economical engine when you drive like a nanna! hahaha

Cheers
mbvp73

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I never use a high pressure hose.

Step 1: Remove parts that are easily removed (alternator, reservoirs, wheels, spark leads, fan shroud and fan, etc...
Step 2: Degreaser, scourer, tooth brush, paper towels.
Step 3: Soapy water, cheap disposable sponges, paper towels
Step 4: Clean water, paper towels

For particularly greasy undercarriage parts, remove and take to a gurney.

Comes up 100%, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did every corner.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
maybe some alluminium cleaner for the top.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
When when i done the engine bay in my old vn, i actually used petrol but wiped it off pretty much straight away..... done a damn good job :D

might get some degreaser and do my engine bay this weekend actually :D

(btw use interior cleaner like kittens etc on all black plastics, will make it look immac :D)

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
Hi there

Im sure someone has posted something similar to this but I couldnt find it in search so here goes..

Ive had my VP wagon for about 4 1/2 years now and when I got it the engine bay was clean as. After this time its got a bit grotty so I wanna clean it up. I used to degrease/high pressure spray the engine bay of my old VC but I've never done it in the VP.

So my question to you all out there is are there any places of the engine bay I should be careful not to spray degreaser/high pressure water on? I used to cover the alternator in the VC so I might to that. Im a bit clueless on this and don't wanna be stuck at the carwash with a dead waterlogged engine so any tips from the experts in JC Land would be much appreciated.

On a totally different note, I'm getting an average of about 9.7l/100km in my VP and it hasn't been professionally serviced in 3 years!! (will be soon) That is both freeway and bumper to bumper. Pretty economical engine when you drive like a nanna! hahaha

Cheers
mbvp73
I wouldn;t spray any water undewr the bonnet onto the engine you asking for trouble,i just got a VR clubby a couple of weeks ago and how i cleaned the engine bay mint was with a bucket of water with a dish washing cloth and crc!!aways comes up mint,who said KIWIS can;t fly!!