Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on refuelling from the experts

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Petrol is still cheap in America and it's still cheap in Australia. It SHOULD be around $2.00 a litre for us.

Interesting, take into account CPI etc, the last time our dollar was at this level and matched with oil prices we were paying under 80 cents a litre. Not sure how you come up with we should be paying more?

Also, why would you use ultimate in your new car? Seems wasted lol.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Interesting, take into account CPI etc, the last time our dollar was at this level and matched with oil prices we were paying under 80 cents a litre. Not sure how you come up with we should be paying more?

It's not based on how the Australian dollar is performing or CPI. It's based on world market oil and petrol prices. Unfortunately most people don't understand how the Australian price of fuel is set. I mean, even though Australia is actually more than 100% self sufficient in our fuel needs (i.e. we don't import it, we export our excess) our fuel has to be locally priced at competitive market prices for fuel based on the global pricing trends. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to sell it at a lower cost locally than the international market demands. It's how most international businesses work.

Also, why would you use ultimate in your new car? Seems wasted lol.

Fuel efficiency. There is a marked improvement by using a 98RON fuel over just a 91RON fuel and the extra cost of paying a higher price means I go further than more fuel at a lower price. I.e. it's more economical. It's fairly marginal (economically speaking but the 98RON is cheaper in the long term) but then there's the benefit of the better quality fuel too. And with the amount of driving I've been doing lately, I've had plenty of time to properly analyse my fuel usage. :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's not based on how the Australian dollar is performing or CPI. It's based on world market oil and petrol prices. Unfortunately most people don't understand how the Australian price of fuel is set. I mean, even though Australia is actually more than 100% self sufficient in our fuel needs (i.e. we don't import it, we export our excess) our fuel has to be locally priced at competitive market prices for fuel based on the global pricing trends. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to sell it at a lower cost locally than the international market demands. It's how most international businesses work.

Actually, it is based on how our dollar is performing as we buy oil at singapore prices. Currently (straight from a source at shell) we are importing around 73% of crude oil for fuel production. Australia use minimal oil of their own (as per your remark regardiing we export excess only) as it is pooled into the world market and bought back. The middle east should have no effect on pricing as only around 12% of oil comes from the UAE, bulk of ours comes from asian markets such as Vietnam, indonesia etc.
You are right though, most do not understand how the Australian oil and fuel pricing market works :)

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
pffft! i would pay an extra dollar a liter just to fill up faster. time is money and saving myself 20 mins at the bowser is worth an extra 20 bucks!

how tight would ya have to be huh?

Not having a go at you but if time is money to you then this site owes you a heap!

I completely agree with you though, I would also pay extra just to get away from the servo quicker! Like what most others think here, the OP's list seems fairly pointless other than the bit about not filling up when a tanker is on site.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Points of Disagreement:

a) As the tanks are stored underground, the temperature difference in the early morning or middle of the day would be worth nothing to you at the bowser. Dirt is an incredibly good insulator... just ask all the folk living underground at Cooperpedy!

b) 1 degree temp difference is a big deal for large quanties of fuel, but for 50-70L it wouldnt make much difference at all.

Points of Agreement:

a) pumping fuel slower would agitate it less, causing less vapours and less fuel leaving your tank as gas. (but then how much is your time worth to you)

b) keep your tank full. fuel does evaporate very quickly.... just listen to the air push out when you open the lid. (but again, how much is your time worth to you having to pull up and fill twice as often)

c) Never fill your car when a tanker is filling the station. All the crap at the bottom of the storage tank gets stirred up by the high pressures of the tanker pumping fuel in.

Oh..... and if you really want to be a tight arse, lift the fuel hoses after pumping to drain them into your tank for free fuel... although not really 'fair' for the next bloke :supersad:.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Oh..... and if you really want to be a tight arse, lift the fuel hoses after pumping to drain them into your tank for free fuel... although not really 'fair' for the next bloke :supersad:.

Makes no difference, fuel is recorded before it touches the hose.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Makes no difference, fuel is recorded before it touches the hose.

no, i know that.... what I mean is when you stop pumping, a little fuel is left in the hose if you just hang it up as normal. there is a little left to get if you lift and drain the hose into your tank. but again... that's being pretty tight ;).