Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips to removing Plasti-Dip

brocksta05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Acclaim
burn the Excel?

As much as I hate to admit it, this little excel is absolutely faultless besides needing a gearbox thanks to previous owner lol. Her parents bought it for like 300 bucks or something with 6 months rego, twin cam manual, uses bugger all fuel, burns hardly any oil unlike most excels, aircon in it works great lol. Besides the gearbox (pops out of fourth) the car is faultless! One of the blokes at the auto shop up the road from my work owns a twin cam manual one aswell and you wont believe it has 530,000kms on the clock!!! Original motor, gearbox and one original CV still. And has only just started burning oil now lol. People ragg on excels somnething shocking but when you get past the BS they are a good car lol.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The branded plasti-dip removal product (as in the one they make to remove their own product) is made up mostly of D-Limonene - which is a citrus solvent, essentially - the active ingredient in adhesive removers like oomph and the tint film removers. Doesn't flash off like solvent degreasers or prepsol - you get a better dwell time.

Bad side of that is that if you've done your wheels, it will show up if there have been any dodgy wheel repairs done where they've touched up with acrylic paint. It will oxidise almost instantly.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
how to remove plasti dip:

step 1: do not purchase plasti dip
step 2: do not spray plasti dip on your car

dingeldei

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman
i found out that degreaser helps even though i didnt want to...
i was using degreaser on my car and some spilled onto my plasti dipped wheels and pretty much ruined them.

SteveYoung

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I would say you are not spraying it on thick enough if you are having trouble removing it. I have plasti dipped the chrome on my Valiant and I can peel it off whenever I like and it is not actually that hard, it comes off in one piece. It is a bit harder in the thin places, but you can just rub that and it comes off.

You should try this stuff, I thought it would be a waste of time and just a joke, but it has it's uses and is actually surprisingly good as well. You can patch it up simply by spraying over it again and it finds the level and you would never tell. It also protects the paint etc from damage. Then the bit about masking is a waste of time, I didn't mask a thing and simply rubbed it off when finished. It you spray your wheels, you just peel it off the tyre once finished.

Try it, you will be very surprised...