Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tiptronic in a calais?

andrewmitchell123

Reaction score
Members Ride
dont got one yet
hi, i was wondering if they bought out tiptronic in vt,vx,vy and vz calais?
or if they are just normal autos? i havent heard much about this, i tried searching but couldnt find anything. ur help is much appreciated thanks

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i think its only vz if at all, but all the ones ive seen are straight auto. the sv6 had a tiptronic option i think.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
hey mate
Tiptronic 5 speed was only available in the VZ series Calais and SV6, and only with the high output Alloytec V6 engine, not the V8.
every other calais prior had the standard 4 speed automatic.
Ve's also have it, but unsure what has what, cos afaik there's a 6 speed auto tiptronic on the V8 models lol
hope this helps
CC

andrewmitchell123

Reaction score
Members Ride
dont got one yet
ok then, thanks guys i got another question now, in a auto, if u change the gears using 1,2,3 and drive does it wreck the car?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
lots of debate regarding that, some say yes others say its fine, i do it occasionally in mine if i wanna hold a speed going down hill. haven't noticed any damage, just dont drop it into 1st while your doing 100 and it should be o.k

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
and dont miss Drive and Neutral like i did at 80 ks and go into reverse turns out thats bad for the box who would of known:bang:

andrewmitchell123

Reaction score
Members Ride
dont got one yet
hmm maybe ill by a calais, n jut change with them gears occasionally... its just i like to hold gears out long :p but i cant find good manuals.. n dunno if i really want one haha
alright well thanks for all ur help guys

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
hmm maybe ill by a calais, n jut change with them gears occasionally... its just i like to hold gears out long :p but i cant find good manuals.. n dunno if i really want one haha

if u want to be able to shift gears without wrecking the auto then
get ur auto rebuild with a stage3 auto full manualised then u can down shift and shift gears all the time with out doing harm :)

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
The VZ Calais has paddle shifters on the back of the steering wheel. Don't expect an instant change, there is a 1-2 second delay between shifts. I barely ever use mine. I find them handy in steep twisty downhill sections but that is about it.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri

Excels hold gears alright:whistling