Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tire Pressure for Track Day's

craigsmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 Series III
Hi Guys,

I have a track day next week (wooo) in my Monaro CV8 Series III. I run Pirelli Dragon's 235/40z R18's and wondering what you would recommend a good tire pressure to start with would be. I understand that tire pressure will need adjusting on the day for best performance, but wondering from your experience what you would recommend. Cheers!

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
drop it to around 22-25 psi i reakon, but when you have time, just drop it down to 30psi, then drop it in increments of .5psi until you start to get a slower eta. there is a thread called drag racing 101, just search for it

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
drop it to around 22-25 psi i reakon, but when you have time, just drop it down to 30psi, then drop it in increments of .5psi until you start to get a slower eta. there is a thread called drag racing 101, just search for it

is he drag racing or full circuit?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i have a great article on tyre pressures in a magazine, will try to find it for you.

ricy_12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
i would have thought around 35 or 40 PSI would have been better for a track day, as the tyre under more pressure therefore less resistance?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
no its not about resistance, its about controlling tyre temperature.

ideally, i think you want a difference of about 4psi from cold pressure to when you come off the track (hot pressure). if you run a too low pressure, the tyre will overheat and the gain in pressure will be too much and will have an adverse effect on tyre wear. obviously the car wont have much grip.

and if you have too much air in the tyre, it will struggle to get heat and the pressure gain will not be enough.

i have a feeling, that around 31psi front and 32psi rear will be a good starting point. obviously with different tyres these pressures move around a bit. but make sure you take a book and measure the pressures before and after every session.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
woops, i thought he meant for 1/4 mile runs hehe. no idea for track, id probably run the same as street pressure. but i wouldnt have a clue

craigsmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 Series III
Hi guys, Track Day next week is full circuit, so need the correct tire pressure for cornering and handling. My understanding is that too low pressure will cause the tires to roll on themselves, and too high pressure will cause them to be too stiff and not enough grip. 'Old Mate' you make a good point about temperature, if you could find that article that would be a great read.

Recommended tire pressure for the car is 32psi standard and 36psi for high speed (Greater than 160kms, for normal load). I was going to start at around 36/37PSI cold and see how it goes, but after thinking about temperature, it might be best to start at 31/32 cold and in theory it will be 36 when it heats up… Will defiently be taking a book though (and a pump).

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
How long have you had the dragon's for, and how much did they cost?

What else has been done to the car mate?

craigsmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 Series III
The Dragons I have had for around 18 months now, got them for $215 each. The car has had a MAFLESS tune and cold air induction (OTR). Got about 90 extra KW's out of her - she's now pushing 221KW@164KPH (on the Dyno).