Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

to anyone who knows about what happens when VR Engine mounts go.

LostPup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec
i'm almost at the ropes end with this car, i know the engine mounts the right hand is stuffed the left is on it's way out they're both sagged. someone mentioned to me when i was trying to figure out what the sound i was hearing coming from the engine/gearbox when the car idled. mentioned that because the engine mounts sagged it was dropping the pan down and it's hitting (only lightly as it idles at low RPM) the cross member causing the Rattling/grinding sound i don't know how to explain it. i know the last owner replaced the gearbox previously so i'm trying to work out if it's something in the gearbox has gone or they stuffed something doing the swap or if it could just be the sagged engine mounts. it's to the point i'm almost going to sell it as i don't need a project car i need a car to get me from A to B if it's the gearbox it's going to be sold if not then i might just do the engine mounts and have one last stab on it if i can be brought to believe or if anyone knows how i would be able to test for sure if it's the sagged engine mounts or not. sounds like it's coming from the bell housing or block of the engine area. what's the best way to see if it's hitting on the cross member or not? this is my first Auto so i don't think it's slipping in any gears the gear changes seem okay the Power button is playing up so that's some of the reason as sometimes it holds the revs a little before changing but most of the time it's fine.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
If stationary and noise is still there (and you can see you a gap between the transmission n x member) its something else, it would be a good idea to do mounts anyway they're like $60 for all 3 (tranny inc) ...

The mount no matter how worn should be keeping the tranny from the x member? I don't know never owned an auto but all the manual boxs in my commodores no part goes anywhere near the x member

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
When they sag there's a pin that runs through the centre that bottoms out on the base of the mount causing the noise. If they're both bad the sump can hit the cross-member as well.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

LostPup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec
alright, i'll get it down back today check those pins. Thanks for the info will really help try and figure this out. the noise sounds like it's coming from the drivers side more towards the engine so it shouldn't be the trans mount and could just be the engine mounts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
alright, i'll get it down back today check those pins. Thanks for the info will really help try and figure this out. the noise sounds like it's coming from the drivers side more towards the engine so it shouldn't be the trans mount and could just be the engine mounts.

Sounds like engine mounts....engine leans to the right under acceleration....to test this theory, have the motor running and open the throttle up from the throttle body and watch which way the motor moves

LostPup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec
just had it on a jack and the engine mount is stuffed but looks like there is still clearance between the bar in the engine mount and the frame Plus it sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine while i was underneath it and it's the right one that's smashed and when it's under acceleration it goes away. it's only at idle that it makes the noise. defiantly sounds gearbox related.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
just had it on a jack and the engine mount is stuffed but looks like there is still clearance between the bar in the engine mount and the frame Plus it sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine while i was underneath it and it's the right one that's smashed and when it's under acceleration it goes away. it's only at idle that it makes the noise. defiantly sounds gearbox related.

Replace the engine mount and then re-assess

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
If it's an auto check the torque converter bolts aren't loose. Also have seen the drive plate crack & make noise.

woodyotoad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
can you get a recording of the noise to help us help you diagnose?