Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy??...VE SS or new model....

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
ps that pre guess "VF" pic is horrible, if that's what it looks like you should wait cause they might pay you to take it...

2ndLook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks for the feedback all !!!

I agree with most of you about taking the current VE & not waiting for the new model. I guess the only thing difference with me is i personally prefer the series 2 models, even though there's not alot of change, i've always found them more refined & the better looking.

Saying that I'm going against the grain & going for the VE this time round. If i get a VE now over 3 - 4 years, then like Reaper said next time round i'll go for the next model. Now just need to decide weather or not to go with phantom mica or poisin ivy!

Once i give the Calais a good detail i'll list it for sale & get the ball rolling. If anyone is intrested in a Nov '05 VZ Calais 190kw in Phantom mica pm me :)

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I'd go for the current one and save some money. DI V8 is atleast a year away so I'd consider one of them next time around.

Reaper

That does sound like a good plan. Holden will have stopped building the current spec VE by now (you'd think), so you will get e better price on one leading up to the launch of the new one. And I wouldn't be too worried about the cosmetic differences on the new one. My info (read it however you like) suggests that from side on, you won't spot the difference. The front and rear lights get a bit of treatment, as does its surrounding sheet metal. You'd need to know what you are looking at to tell the difference from afar.

My understanding of the updated car is that you get a few more goodies on models like the SS-V and calais V, such as a touch screen stereo with built in hard drive, reversing camera and xenon lights (I think). Also the screen will be raised higher up for easier reading. There are some photos going around of round air vents too, but they look gross and out of place.

Mechanically, I've been told there is no difference. Reaper's point about the direct injection V8 would be reason to wait, but if it comes here then it won't be here for ages. By the time your VE is up for renewal, that will have been here and refined a little. It would be this engine which would make me wait, as I've already got a VE (albiet I bought it the first week VE's were released - so I'm not a good example of patience :) )

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thanks for the feedback all !!!

I agree with most of you about taking the current VE & not waiting for the new model. I guess the only thing difference with me is i personally prefer the series 2 models, even though there's not alot of change, i've always found them more refined & the better looking.

Technically the series II VE came out several years ago and you could argue that we are onto possibly SIII. Holden have run a policy of gradual improvements rolling them out as soon as they are ready. This is my second VE and there are some noticeable improvements in refinement along the way. Of course looks wise, beyond some minor badge work they are exactly the same as when they were released.

Saying that I'm going against the grain & going for the VE this time round. If i get a VE now over 3 - 4 years, then like Reaper said next time round i'll go for the next model. Now just need to decide weather or not to go with phantom mica or poisin ivy!

When you go black you never go back :)

That does sound like a good plan. Holden will have stopped building the current spec VE by now (you'd think), so you will get e better price on one leading up to the launch of the new one. And I wouldn't be too worried about the cosmetic differences on the new one. My info (read it however you like) suggests that from side on, you won't spot the difference. The front and rear lights get a bit of treatment, as does its surrounding sheet metal. You'd need to know what you are looking at to tell the difference from afar.

Elizabeth had a shutdown for a couple of weeks in July which is when they presumably tooled up for the new model. From what I understand the face lift is very minor indeed and only the trainspotters will tell the difference most of the time.

My understanding of the updated car is that you get a few more goodies on models like the SS-V and calais V, such as a touch screen stereo with built in hard drive, reversing camera and xenon lights (I think). Also the screen will be raised higher up for easier reading. There are some photos going around of round air vents too, but they look gross and out of place.

Mechanically, I've been told there is no difference. Reaper's point about the direct injection V8 would be reason to wait, but if it comes here then it won't be here for ages. By the time your VE is up for renewal, that will have been here and refined a little. It would be this engine which would make me wait, as I've already got a VE (albiet I bought it the first week VE's were released - so I'm not a good example of patience :) )

DI V8 will happen - no iffs buts or maybe's. It's still a bit far away to delay a new car purchase though.

Reaper

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
we've(well the wife has ) decided to wait till we clap our eyes on the new model "just in case its nicer "....the salesman said they'll be here in around a month and be 7-10k more....if they are(7-10k more) then they can shove it !:rofl2:

i don tsee it being as mean looking as the current VE SS ! :boxing:

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock (cloth trim) 2010 model is 41990 drive away ! manual supposed to be 2k less but salesman says not so !

with everything there is an opposite and that means the 2010 will be better to get a deal on !! still a new car really !

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
stock (cloth trim) 2010 model is 41990 drive away ! manual supposed to be 2k less but salesman says not so !

with everything there is an opposite and that means the 2010 will be better to get a deal on !! still a new car really !

I paid $43 on the road for my current SSV (leather etc). There will still be a few old model cars around when the new one is released so there will be opportunities to snap up a bargain for a while.

Reaper

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I've seen the price sheets for the new VE's. From memory the SS RRP is over 50k.
But I guess they will do specials and stuff.
They have already stopped production on the current SS's and are running them out for september release of the new ones.
I just bought my new SS so my input is get one while they are cheap. The money u will save can go towards rims, suspension, exhaust etc. haha

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
I paid $43 on the road for my current SSV (leather etc). There will still be a few old model cars around when the new one is released so there will be opportunities to snap up a bargain for a while.

Reaper

43k for a 2010 ssv ? they wanted 50 odd for the v as it had all the toys extra !! if i can find an SSV for that i'd be interested as i found the local garage a bit inept with info and communication and if they're like this now, christ knows how bad they'll be after sale !!