Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy?

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Hey everyone, im thinking about buying a ex cop VK. its baby blue with a 308 trimatic. but according to the owner.. the gearbox seal needs replacing badly? how much do you think this would cost me?
should i buy it?

V8 3spd auto vk ex-cop car,needs tlc great project car good solid vt,new push rods and lifters less than 5000 kms ago,no knocks or rattles in engine good runner,needs front main seal replaced in trans,push button start because of ignition dying on previous owner has nt been registed in 6 years...650 firm(engine worth that alone.inbox me if interestd

thats all the info there is.. whats your opinion?

Last edited:

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
you could always convert it to manual? if you could do it yourself you could have a v8 4 speed vk for less than $1500. or you could use the 308 and put it in your vc with the auto or a manual

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
i would walk away
"push button start"
"unregistered six years"
that screams a rebirthed car to me....

if you wanted to get rid of doubts i would get a revs check done on the vin by queensland transport (or your transport department)
is cheap compared to a big bill with your rego or having car repossesed!~

and check plate and body vin match
aswell as engine no to vin number in its last rego

cause that prices seems unbelievable and what good is that cheap if the car owes ten grand before it can be registered

aprt from that i like that baby blue normally comes up really nice with a good cut polish!~

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
If it's only $650 grab it, well worth it

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
thats no typo AT ALL.

and i managed to get him to $600 (;

i sold the VC a lil while back, i get tired of it after finding more rust. so i ditched it for $200 :p

even if the numbers dont match on this car, i dont really care for VK's. all im after is the 308 :p

"the motor is worth that alone" is the owners words on his price hes asking for.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
as long as the engine isnt hot too......

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
meh, ring the security register and run the chassis number. if it comes out clean then buy it. 650 is a b-a-r-g-a-i-n!!!!!

front seal on the trans is easy as piss. take off tailshaft, loosen exhaust, undo trans cooling lines and linkages, remove trans (take torque converter bolts off and remove torque converter with trans) get a blade screwdriver and knock in one side of the old seal so it looks like pac-man, careful not to damage the seal seat, then pull out the seal wih pliers. thoroughly clean the seals seat area with kero, dry off. get a drift (a tube thing that is the same size as the seal) seat the first bit of the seal but tapping on, the put the drift on and smash it hard.

lube up the torque converter shaft with trans fluid slot it in being extra careful that the converter seats all the way in the trans pump. there is a little dual pin thing on the end of the converter which needs to go into its spot or you wont get any fluid spinning and potentially smash your pump when you tighten the trans onto the engine.

replace is the opposite to removal.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
if you need any help with work on the vk im based near brighton and have a couple of vb-vk service manuals