Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To Buy Or not to buy

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
The L98 is no longer compatible with GM's DOD system, unlike the L76 which was in the VZ. No DOD for VE V8's.

How do you know this? Isn't the L98 just an enhanced L76 with a codename of L98? I was almost sure I read that all 6 litres are ready for DoD technology to be "turned on".

It would be another nail in the coffin of big Aussie V8s if Holden don't add DoD since it give a V8 fuel efficiency that rivals a V6. That opens up the V8 market segment and starts attracting the "I just can't justify it" buyers who would have bought a V6 anyway.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
How do you know this? Isn't the L98 just an enhanced L76 with a codename of L98? I was almost sure I read that all 6 litres are ready for DoD technology to be "turned on".

It would be another nail in the coffin of big Aussie V8s if Holden don't add DoD since it give a V8 fuel efficiency that rivals a V6. That opens up the V8 market segment and starts attracting the "I just can't justify it" buyers who would have bought a V6 anyway.

GM's DOD system is compatible with all their original GEN IV's, but I read in a magazine, probably wheels but not sure, that the new changes to the engine mean GM's DOD system is not completely compatible anymore.

Either Holden alters the DOD, or they leave DOD until the next upgrade of the L98.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
If you read my post correctly and didnt quote out of context you would notice I am talking about the VALUE OF THE CAR.

I didn't quote out of context, I quoted verbatum... I see what you are trying to say and agree with you to a point. Fact is, any Direct Injection 6 Speed auto VE will be worth more than ones without these features as they will be the next model, newer and more often than not have lower km.

You are right though in that if an Omega (as it stands now) came off the production line the same day as one with direct injection and 6 speed auto and both were driven for 3 years and had 70,000km on them, the one with 6 speed and DI would sell for more.

Bottom line in the real world though, you won't get any less for your Commodore when you sell it 2nd hand beacuse it DOESN'T have these features because the two won't be in the same market as they will be different models. It would be like saying "Don't buy a new VY because it won't be worth as much to sell as a VZ will. Wait for the VZ." The two are never in the same market because one is always going to be newer than the other.

I really hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to express where I was actually coming from.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I didn't quote out of context, I quoted verbatum... I see what you are trying to say and agree with you to a point. Fact is, any Direct Injection 6 Speed auto VE will be worth more than ones without these features as they will be the next model, newer and more often than not have lower km.

You are right though in that if an Omega (as it stands now) came off the production line the same day as one with direct injection and 6 speed auto and both were driven for 3 years and had 70,000km on them, the one with 6 speed and DI would sell for more.

Bottom line in the real world though, you won't get any less for your Commodore when you sell it 2nd hand beacuse it DOESN'T have these features because the two won't be in the same market as they will be different models. It would be like saying "Don't buy a new VY because it won't be worth as much to sell as a VZ will. Wait for the VZ." The two are never in the same market because one is always going to be newer than the other.

I really hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to express where I was actually coming from.

Yeah I get ya. But what is your opinion? Do you think he should wait for the VE 2 or get a VE now?

BTW I did a search online for the L98 about the DOD but there is **** all information on the net for the L98. It mentions it on Wikipedia, but that is not a reliable source. I will go through Wheels and Motor again when im at work saturday and see if it was in either of those.

blackahcdx

Reaction score
L98 is the L76 with the DOD hardware removed.

As for VE II i doubt it will happed, i remember reading somewhere that there wont be series II updates every 12 months due to the short product cycle with the new model.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
There will be a VE II... Give it 12 - 18 months or so. Just like there will be a VF which will also facelift the VE & VE II (think VT to VX).

I predict the benefits for waiting for a VE II are:

DoD for the V8s.
Direct Injection.
Diesel and/or Turbo Diesel Engine options.
6 Speed Automatic. At least for the SV6, Calais and Calais V. The Omega and Berlina may just get the current 5 Speed but I doubt the 4 Speed will see another update.
Flip Keys standard across the range (at least they're optional for the models that don't have them as standard at the moment).
And of course all the refinement and tweaking changes that happen for all Series IIs.

These are just some of the options Holden has. Whether or not they choose to do all or some (or god forbid, ANY) of these hanges for the VE II or leave some for the VF remains to be seen. But the focus for VE II to VF will be styling/looks.

Can anyone else predict what the VE II will get? What changes etc?

Tomorrow never comes...........if you wait for the latest and best - you will never end up buying anything.

The VG will have a series 2 but wait ...the VH may be better.

Buy today and enjoy it for what it is........who knows what the future will bring

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
If holden are looking at a 6 year life cycle than instead of there being series 2they will just release a new model every 18 months (provided they want 4 models out of the Ve platform) so at the beggining of 2008 we will be seeing the Vf and then there would be a change to the next V? (any ideas whats next??) in mid 2009 and the last model in 2011 (seems so far off).
I also doubt that the Vf will have many styling changes i think due to the petrol problems atm holden would be looking at weight reduction and fuel consumption as there main revisions.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
andrewmac said:
I also doubt that the Vf will have many styling changes i think due to the petrol problems atm holden would be looking at weight reduction and fuel consumption as there main revisions.

Plastic quarter panels perhaps - it's aleady on many production cars and hard to spot...? Styling is usually one of the cheapest changes to make and has little to no impact on fuel use.