Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To Buy Or not to buy

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Today I went into my local holden Dealer for a change over price on a Berlina with accessories of a Full spare wheel and limited slip diff.
I get employee pricing, my trade was a VZ Equipe which is 1 week off being 12 months old and it has done 5,780 kms.
Price was for Berlina $34,349 on road trade in was $20,000 leaving $14349 to pay, I know all the people at the Dealship and they always look after me and "wink,wink" could get me another $2000.00 trade in leaving $12349 to pay on road.

Now I wan't some fair dimkum replies on what you think I should do remembering my VZ has only done 5780 kms. I do not do a lot kms so I am wondering if it is worth it, considering the powertrain is the same as the VZ with very minor changes even the gear ratio's are the same.:bang:

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
with that kind of trade in i say its not worth personally i like the VZ better than the new VE, it youd fetch a better price in comparison if you kept the car till it hit 100 thou and went to sell it, providing petrol prices havent raped australia of its large car industry youd probably end up getting like $15000 private sale for it when time comes to sell and have had good use out of it

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I'd keep the VZ a bit longer. That's a lot of money to throw away. You've effectively got a new car as it is. If you're keen to get a VE I'd still wait as there may be teething issues with the VE. The VZ is now a proven quantity. Personally, I think the VZ looks better

Last edited:

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Patience can be a virtue!

I have always been reluctant to buy a new model first up.

I have had great reliability (and a very good price) from buying the last of the brred, i.e. VL, VSII and VYII.

I know that VZ is the last of the "breed", but I bought the VYII as a manual executive was not to be available on the VZ.

That said, there looks to be lots to like about the VE.

Head says stay with VZ. What does the heart say?

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Tomorrow never comes......

...cars are a bad financial investment - once you accept that - the money side is no longer an issue.

That said- there will always be refinements, newer models etc etc. if we all waited for the final final model - we would never buy the car.

The VE is streets ahead of the VZ- if you like your commodores and you can ignore the financial pain - I would go for it just for the sheer driving improvement.:thumbsup:

If you can't get over the financial pain - stick with the VZ - until the VG comes along!!

blackahcdx

Reaction score
did u drive the VE?

if not then do urself a favour and drive it, then u will know what to do ;)

jacko

Reaction score
I'd hold out longer, perhaps until the VEII or the model after - I wouldn't buy the first of the series myself. Your VZ is practically new, and with only a touch over 5,000kms it doesn't seem worth it. The VZs have already lost a good portion of their resale value anyway.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
SSV8pilot said:
Tomorrow never comes......

...cars are a bad financial investment - once you accept that - the money side is no longer an issue
New cars in particular are an awful investment, 2nd-hand near new ones much less so. If money was no object you wouldn't be asking the question, so....

Don't buy new....wait for 6 months and pick up a 2nd-hand one that's already lost its showroom markup. The dealers never give you anywhere market price on your trade (for obvious reasons) and with a brand new model you have no grounds at all for any discount.

In the meantime, advertise your current car privately (only costs $20 to put it on the net) and put top dollar on it. If it sells before you're ready, it will only be because you got your high asking price (rather than a pitiful trade-in price) and therefore are free to buy whatever you like. If it doesn't sell, at least you can pick up a VE with a few km on it and get a hefty "discount" on new price.

Given the amount of driving you do, I don't see you you could justify the cost of change-over...especially given that exactly the same thing will happen again in a couple years time when you want to get out of the VE into something else...my 2c

INSAYN

INSAYN
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Calais V8
We all know new cars are a bad investment , hold out and buy a 2nd hand one a few months down the track with low kms , let the new car buyer cop the early deprecation (SP}