Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To keep my cool..

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
Hi there,

I'm having problems with my cooling system apparently. The radiator has a bit of a crack on the inside part, driver side, in the plastic part of it. Usually the engine stays cool but since a while it heats up very quickely and driving in the traffic has become a nightmare. The cooling system is bubbling, I can hear it when I stop the car. So i'm thinking of fixing it but I don't know how.. can I weld plastic or not. Can I use a putty of some kind.. Or do I have to replace the whole damn thing..

The thing is that my budget is as little as it gets at the moment so any DIY input will be welcome. And I can not afford to buy new parts at this stage.

One more question: I usually make sure the radiator is full before I go for a drive but I forgot to do it last time I came back from the mountains and as silly as it sounds, my oil level was a tad too low... The conscequences went dramantic, as I was cruising on the highway, the engine started to make some scary noises. I pulled over as soon as I could on the nearest shoulder. As I stopped the car, the engine stopped by itself so I think I got it tight on that one... Some smoke was comming out from both sides of the engine block... So I've let it cool down for about 20mn, added some oil and water, started the car again, and miraculosely, everything went fine. So I drove the car to a servo and got some anti friction goo and poored it inside the engine. So my question is now: How should I behave now with that car since I got the engine tight once.. Shall I consider selling it as a wreck in the near future or would it be okay to keep going if I fix or change the radiator.

Thanks for your attention.

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
No ideas??

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Change the Radiator mate. I don't think you can fix the insides of a Radiator by yourself, i could be wrong. You are lucky you pulled over when you did and you didn't blow a head gasket. Just check under your oil cap and make sure there are no signs of any white milky liquid. It sounds like you are losing coolant and I'm guessing this is from the Radiator. If it is bubbling/boiling you are most likely in for a new Radiator anyways as having your current one fix would cost a bit i would imagine.

Cheers

Mumbo Man

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
yeah as had been said, just get the new radiator and it will be sweet.

You can use radiator stop leak stuff, BUT sometimes that wont work, as i found out with one of my old cars.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only but cooking a motor that was low on water and oil gives that engine a very limited lifespan.
A new plastic tank can be clamped to the old radiator but usually it's cheaper to buy online.
You can buy another car for pennies nowdays although if the interior and body is good it may pay to buy a pranged VS with a good motor and trans...$500 to $800 would be max.
So I'd be leaning towards wrecking it unless you replace the whole motor.
Good Luck.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Gees where can i get a good Motor and Trans for $500 - $800? A mate of mine picked up a 2nd hand Trans for $600. Have to agree with hako though, you would of decrease the motors lifespan. Not sure by how much, only time will tell. VSDeath where about's are you located?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Gees where can i get a good Motor and Trans for $500 - $800?

Contact any auto insurance company and ask where they auction their write-offs. Some companies may allow the damage asseser to sell direct to a third party. A good trans and auto probably would come off a rollover which is not worth much at all. Rear enders are also good. Some wreckers sell complete cars if you ask them to look out for you. Abandoned cars go cheap and both police and council hold auctions for them. Biggest problem is that it's not something you can do quickly....and cars usually need fixing now!

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
I'm in Marrickville NSW mate.

Radiator stop leak stuff.. will that work if the crack is on the plastic bits?

The problem of just buying a new cheap vs is that I would need to get it assessed by a mechanic before I buy it and the will cost me on top of the price.

My actual VS, I know it well, and I know ecaxtly what to excpect (more or less).

How much is a new radiator? Can I get it second hand (like reconditioned)? How hard is it to fit it in?

Now regarding the actual state of the engine, nothing seems to look too milky.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
to fit in is piss easy.

I got a reco one for my old vn for about $150 (couple of years ago now though), and fitted it myself. a few screws, and 2 hoses and a couple of clamps, coolant and ya done.

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
Sounds pretty good. I might consider it if the bog does'nt clog.

ps: I likee your vs mate..it's like Louis XVI style.. nice