Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To kick it off.....

Adolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
'93 VS Ute
Hi Guys,

I have had my VS ute for about a year now. She was a bit of dud when i got her however when it comes to a choice between driving my new car and the VS ute it always wins hands down. So now it has come time to fix it all up and getting her looking sexy.

But unfortunately i have a problem to kick it off.

The ute runs hot. What i mean by this is when i sit at lights or when driving around the city the ute will run hot. It never boils but will sit up high on the temp gauge and it smells hot as well. I have been to two mechanics who have said that it looks like a timing problem with the fan on the radiator. Does that sound right? I have replaced the thermostat and done radiator flushes and hasnt made any impact. While driving on the freeway or out in the country it is fine and have no issues.
As i said the car has never boiled, even on a 40 degree day in the middle of summer this problem occurs but still does not boil.

So whats next, do i start replacing radiators and fans?

Cheers guys, i look forward to reading and posting!

Cheers

Az

newvsowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
JG Cruze
hey mate,

my vs acclaim does this as well. when sitting in traffic around town it will get to halfway and the fan will turn on and then the temp will go back down to about one third.

i have had the thermostat replaced twice, but from what I can gather, it seems to be normal for this model of car to run hotter.

cheers,
aaron

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It is normal!......many people before you have spent many $$$$ trying to get their VS to run cooler but failed. Believe it or not but they are designed to run at these (apparent) high temperatures. If the engine overheats it will sound an alarm but that will only happen if something like your waterpump fails. They do not overheat unless there is a fault with the engine or cooling system.